Who next for Deontay Wilder?

Now that the Povetkin fight has been postponed and may never happen, the WBC has stated that the "Bronze bomber" can make a voluntary defense. Likely to be this summer.

Several names have been mentioned and Gerald Washington seems to have a good chance of being the challenger. Though, reports from the LATimes say Wilder has picked Chris Arreola.

Who do you think Wilder will fight and what do you make of fights with either Washington or Arreola?

Re: Who next for Deontay Wilder?

It seems most of the really good names are all in line for an eventual payday with Fury/Wlad or (inexplicably) AJ. They'll all likely duck / hibernate / fight bums for as long as possible. Wilder is STILL too much risk for too little reward. Who wouldn't love to see Wilder -Ortiz?

Only in boxing .....

Most of the dregs seem to be at the top of the WBC rankings. They actually have Stiverne at #2 & DuHaupas at #4.

It might be interesting to see Fat Andy get a shot, but he won't bring any money and the casuals have no idea who he is. Parker looked so average against Takam, I'm sure his team would turn down a shot at Wilder right now. A Stiverne rematch would be mildly interesting, if only to erase any lingering (idiotic) thoughts that he actually had Rabdo in their first fight.

Jennings is kind of damaged goods, plus Wilder would likely plow right through him.

So that leaves .... OMG say it 'aint so .... David fricking Haye. The fact that the now-as-absurd-as-the-WBA WBC has Haye at #8, when he has in no way even remotely earned it, tells me they want that fight to happen. WTF has happened to the sport of boxing? Luckily for all of us, Haye would surely turn down an offer from Wilder, as his plan is obviously to have a few more fixed fights and then run his mouth until he gets a big payday against AJ.

The only other wildcard, unless Wilder is content to fight another can an that would include Arreola, is Lucas Browne. His ban should be lifted in a few months, yes? He'd liley be desperate enough for one final chance to face Wilder, even for low money.

- but fingers crossed that they make an offer to Ruiz. He's the only top-ranked possibility that would even raise my pulse.

Edited by Cableaddict

Say, there's one more wildcard:

Kyotaro Fujimoto.

I dunno a thing about him, but the WBC (that bastion of pugilistic integrity) has him currently at #15. Makes no sense, but there it is.

It could be an interesting marketing idea to give him a shot. Heck, they could even hold the fight in Japan.

Kyotaro was a good K-1 fighter, but in boxing his best wins include fat Chauncy Welliver and pumped up middleweight Ishida. He was beated badly by Solomon Haumono, who was later knocked out by lazy and light-hitting Kevin Johnson.

One of Arreola's main attributes was his toughness but after the Stiverne stoppage even that may no longer exist. He's failed a drug test in his last fight (weed) and never looks in great shape. He must know this is his last chance but motivation seems to be a huge issue for him.

I have no problems with Wilder fighting him though don't understand how he gets a shot.

He doesn't appear to be ranked by the WBC in the Top 15.

1 .- Alexander Povetkin (Russia)

2 .- Bermane Stiverne (Haiti/Canada)

3 .- Kubrat Pulev (Bulgaria) EBU

4 .- Johann Duhaupas (France) SILVER

5 .- Carlos Takam (Cameroon)

6 .- Joseph Parker (New Zealand) OPBF

7 .- Andy Ruiz (Mexico) NABF

8 .- David Haye (GB)

9 .- Bryant Jennings (US)

10 .- Malik Scott (US)

11 .- Artur Szpilka (Poland)

12 .- Eric Molina (US)

13 .- Dereck Chisora (GB)

14 .- Ruslan Chagaev (Uzbekistan/Germany)

15 .- Gerald Washington (US)

16 .- Kyotaro Fujimoto (Japan)

17 .- Mariusz Wach (Poland)

18 .- Arnold Gjergjaj (Switzerland)

19 .- Andrzej Wawrzyk (Poland)

20 .- Alexander Dimitrenko (Russia)

21 .- Charles Martin (US)

22 .- Dillian Whyte (Jamaica/GB)

23 .- Billy Wright (US) LATINO/FECARBOX

24 .- David Price (GB)

25 .- Francesco Pianeta (Italy)

26 .- Andriy Rudenko (Ukraine) INTL Silver

27 .- Jarrell Miller (US)

28 .- Hughie Fury (GB)

29 .- Amir Mansour (US)

30 .- Travis Kauffman (US)

31 .- Robert Helenius (Finland)

32 .- Oscar Rivas (Colombia/Canada)

33 .- Nagy Aguilera (US)

34 .- Trevor Bryan (US) NABF Jr.

35 .- John Wesley Nofire (US)

36 .- Matteo Modugno (Italy)

37 .- Faisal Ibnel Arrami (France) FRANCOPHONE

38 .- Ruslan Faifer (Russia)

39 .- Jun Long Zhang (China)

40 .- Sergey Kuzmin (Russia) EPBC

I'll be very forgiving of whoever Wilder chooses to fight next given the situation and his willingness to go and face Povetkin overseas (albeit for big money). I'm hoping it's a solid opponent but in any case my worry with Wilder is that he seems to fight down to the level of opposition sometimes. His record doesn't always reflect this as his power usually finally tells but he can seem to struggle for periods against lesser opponents. I hope the situation and the kind of havoc it could play with his motivation doesn't lead to him coming unstuck in his next fight - big fights with Fury/Klitschko/Joshua are really something to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Deontay-Wilder.jpg

When will we see Deontay “Windmill” Wilder really step up?

by John Hoolan

So with his proposed mandated fight against Alexander Povetkin falling through it now looks like Deontay Wilder (36-0, 35 KOs) will return to type and have an “easy” defence.

Current names in the frame are Chris Arreola (third time lucky at the HW belt), Gerald Washington and even Antonio Tarver has now thrown his name into the hat. Whilst the pullout of Povetkin due to PEDs wasn’t Wilder or his team’s fault, he must surely fight a name, somebody that will push him? Povetkin would have been his toughest opponent, now we are left with nothingness…

Of the three fighters mentioned now, the oldest (Tarver) is likely to be the most resilient to Wilder, however he’s not ranked by the WBC, so that looks like a possible non starter. Washington is ranked 15th by the WBC and Arreola will be top 15 again once his misdemeanour for smoking dope is expunged in the next rankings.

Read more: When will we see Deontay “Windmill” Wilder really step up? - - Boxing News - Ring News24

It's being reported that his next fight has been confirmed for July 16th in Birmingham, Alabama. Opponent as yet unconfirmed and I don't expect it to be a world-beater but provided it's not a horrible mismatch (Haye, ehem) then I'm good with it. Should be a chance to further consolidate the local fan-base he's been building up.

It's being reported this morning that it is indeed Arreola who'll get the shot. Obviously undeserving but if (a big if!) Arreola is in any kind of shape this could at least be fun while it lasts.

It's being reported this morning that it is indeed Arreola who'll get the shot. Obviously undeserving but if (a big if!) Arreola is in any kind of shape this could at least be fun while it lasts.

When did that last happen?

Arreola has been labouring to a mixed record against mostly journeymen, has had about 12 months out due to multiple failed tests for marijuana, and was largely just a puncher even in his prime - if he goes three rounds with Wilder, it'll be because Wilder needed the exercise.

Edited by gavpowell

When did that last happen?

Arreola has been labouring to a mixed record against mostly journeymen, has had about 12 months out due to multiple failed tests for marijuana, and was largely just a puncher even in his prime - if he goes three rounds with Wilder, it'll be because Wilder needed the exercise.

Fair point - you're right he hasn't been in shape for years now!

--- I'll have you know Arreola is undefeated against tacos and beer that he knocks out with impunity.

And if you ever saw his smokin' wife, well, you'd wonder where you went wrong. At any rate, bronze Bambi operates on a slim fight by fight margin, hence his lower tier challengers.

I am against Arreola being given a title-shot. Makes the WBC look contradictory regarding drugs (I know weed and peds are different). Cris has done nothing to earn a shot and will most likely look poor again.

There is a slim chance that he'll knuckle down and be able to make this a rocky fight for Wilder but there is ore hope than expectation. Build-up will be good and given the Povetkin fight falling through (no fault of Wilders), then this is fine by me. Just hoping Arreola trains to win and he could do as this would be a big opportunity for him.

This is clearly Haymon's doing. He wants another no-hoper opponents with name recognition, so his fighter can get a fan-friendly KTFO, which will bore us but wow the casuals.

It's a smart business plan, but he's destroying the sport, fight by fight by fight..... (Including all the great match-ups that he stopped from happening.)

Meanwhile, Klitschko & Fury are doing their little circus act / scam, and will be safe from the rest of the pack for another year. Wlad wins #2 of course, (you can literally bet your life on that) and then probably #3 as well. Then both will likely retire, never having faced Wilder, Ortiz, etc.

Ortiz will maybe get his little WBA belt, then be avoided by the other top heavies until he's at least 40 y-o.

Sigh ...........

Edited by Cableaddict

This si clearly Haymon's doing. He wants another no-hoper opponents with name recognition, so his fighter can get a fan-friendly KTFO, which will bore us but wow the casuals.

It's a smart business plan, but he's destroying the sport, fight by fight by fight..... (Including all the great match-ups that he stopped from happening.)

I disagree. Wilder has been in a long camp including being in the UK. Haymon has got a quick date, so that his fighter hasn't completely wasted his time. Why are you criticising Haymon or Wilder - makes no sense to me.

I don't think Ortiz is all that good personally, but in Wilder's case, who's left right now? Joshua's fighting Breazeale, Whyte's not at that level yet, Klitschko and Fury are tied up, Povetkin's out, Pulev just fought, Parker is not ready, already has a "fight" planned and is Joshua's mandatory. Who's left?