Eubank wants Golovkin now - worth the risk?

by Lee Skavydis

Chris Eubank Jr has expressed his desire to fight Gennady Golovkin. Eubank will be having his next fight at the 02 arena on June 25th facing Tom Doran in a British title defence.The contest will be on the same card that will consist of Anthony Joshua facing Dominic Breazeale and George Groves will battle Martin Murray in a crossroads fight that may see the loser have little choice other than retirement.

Promoter Eddie Hearn said in The Mirror, “My instructions from the Eubanks are clear: make the Golovkin fight.”

Chris Eubank Sr went on to say, “You’ve got to get Golovkin, then we may have a long-term deal. I don’t think Golovkin will take the fight, but you must make that fight. I don’t see how, by my mathematics, he can win.”

Read more: Eubank wants Golovkin now - worth the risk? - - Boxing News - Ring News24

--------------------------------

Is this just hot -air and how would Eubank Jr do against Triple G or Danny Jacobs?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Eubank wants Golovkin now - worth the risk?

Eubank is the next logical mandatory, anyway, after either Mago or Heiler, so he's smart to start pretending he WANTS the fight now!

Still, it's actually a very exciting match, second IMO only to Jacobs. I say this because

A: Eubank looked so good in his last few fights, and

B: it will be a brilliant clash of styles.

Oh wait, and C: After Gennady KTFO Eubank Jr, maybe Eubank Sr, will finally STFU. :haha:

Even though both Eubank and BJS have called out Golovkin it's not clear to me either want the fight. I think they're trying to bolster their claim that they're willing fight anyone while knowing the match is going to be difficult to make and only possible if the Canelo negotiations fall though (although that's a distinct possibility)

I've been out of touch a bit, but unless Eubank Jr. has improved immensely over the last year or so, this isn't a good fight for him. Good money? Yes. But there's a chance it could put his career onto a path he doesn't want to travel, at least not yet.

I've been out of touch a bit, but unless Eubank Jr. has improved immensely over the last year or so, this isn't a good fight for him. Good money? Yes. But there's a chance it could put his career onto a path he doesn't want to travel, at least not yet.

He actually has. Huge props to the guy, he gets better with every fight. (Now that they let him outa' that damned cage. :laugh: )

Edited by Cableaddict

Eubank needs to have a rematch against Saunders first. If he can't beat him, there's no way he'll beat Golovkin.

Good point.

Plus, then the winner would bring a lot more juice to the eventual Golovkin showdown.

I'm finding it hard to decide if eubank comes away with raised stock even after an early stoppage. I think if he gives him a good go for 8 rounds then he definitely comes away looking better but I definitely don't see any way he can beat golovkin.

Eubank Sr say 1 minute they take the GGG fight now if offered then says Eubank Jr goona defend Lonsdale belt in August so he gets to keep it they are full of it they got no intention of fighting GGG, Jr been Mandatory for Jacobs since beating Spike O'Sullivan but fights for a British Belt.

Eubank Sr say 1 minute they take the GGG fight now if offered then says Eubank Jr goona defend Lonsdale belt in August so he gets to keep it they are full of it they got no intention of fighting GGG, Jr been Mandatory for Jacobs since beating Spike O'Sullivan but fights for a British Belt.

Spot on. Also, his deal with Matchroom is for 2 fights - so two British title fights and then who knows but doubt it'll be in the same arena as Triple G let alone the same ring.

It's an odd time. If every other MW contender just assumes they can't beat Golovkin, then fighting Golovkin could actually become MORE plausible: A loss to him doesn't really hurt a fighter's record, since everyone knows he'd win, anyway. So, bring on all the top guys, and let's just see how well they an look while losing to the man.

Then they can all go back to fighting each other, for second place.

Except for Leetle Canelito, who will likely not leave the henhouse for another few years, all the while clucking that "the money wasn't right."

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Canelo currently fighting for a lot more $ than he makes going to purse bid with Golovkin.

When his lawsuit is settled, then the golovkin deal gets made which should be an even bigger promotion.

that lawsuit thing baffles me though.. It's going to trial right, and part of it is ASB saying that GBP defrauded canelo into signing with them because he didn't speak English.. so surely canelo can just settle it right now by saying if they did or didn't? :noidea:

that lawsuit thing baffles me though.. It's going to trial right, and part of it is ASB saying that GBP defrauded canelo into signing with them because he didn't speak English.. so surely canelo can just settle it right now by saying if they did or didn't? :noidea:

You don't have a lot of experience with lawyers, do you?