Luis Ortiz talks Heavyweight rivals

Luis "King Kong Ortiz at the Khan vs Canelo weekend.

Talks Fury vs Klitschko, Wilder vs Povetkin, Joshua vs Breazeale, Haye vs Briggs.

Also talks about HBO, his next fight, best heavyweight in history and states he wants Anthony Joshua.

Highlights of his last fight against Tony Thompson

Re: Luis Ortiz talks Heavyweight rivals

Josua never fight real boxers, this ain't gonna happend

Joshua has already signed with Showtime. Ortiz is looking to sign with HBO, which would be silly if he is after a Joshua fight.

Joshua has only had 16 fights and will clear up the division.

Ortiz-Ustinov Goes to Purse Bid

By Clarence George

Because representatives of interim WBA World heavyweight titlist Luis Ortiz and challenger Alexander Ustinov have been unable to reach terms for a title match, the WBA has ordered a purse bid to take place at the sanctioning body’s offices in Panama on Thursday, May 19. Aurelio Fiengo, WBA treasurer, will direct the bidding.

Ortiz, 37, was born in Camaguey, Cuba, but fights out of Miami. An undefeated six-year pro, “King Kong” (25-0, 22 KOs, 2 NCs) won the title last October by knocking out Matias Ariel Vidondo in the third. First-ranked by the WBA, the hard-hitting southpaw successfully defended his title two months later by stopping Bryant Jennings via seventh-round TKO. Ortiz most recently fought this March, knocking out Tony Thompson in the sixth.

“Alexander the Great,” 39, was born in Paustovo, Russia, but fights out of Minsk, Belarus. A pro since 2005 (33-1, 24 KOs), Ustinov’s sole loss came in September 2012, knocked out by Kubrat Pulev in the 11th. Third-ranked by the WBA, he last fought this past December, knocking out Konstantin Airich in the fifth.

Ortiz-Ustinov is intended to be part of the WBA’s heavyweight tournament, in fulfillment of its promise to have one world champion per division, including among the heavyweights.

The minimum bid is $600,000.

The purse split is 60% to the champion and 40% to the challenger.

The WBA Office is located at Avenida Aquilino de la Guardia c/c Calle 47, PH Ocean Plaza, Office 14-05, Marbella, Panama, Panama.

Source: Ortiz-Ustinov Goes to Purse Bid | World Boxing Association

I would favour Ortiz. Ortiz is too dangerous for Joshua at this point in time. Joshua is still learning and has time on his side.

Ortiz was bothered by Jennings inside work, so that could be a tactic for Joshua if the fight ever happened.

• 2 weeks later...

With a few more wins for each of them I'd really like to see Whyte step up to him. I think that could be a decent scrap. Whyte could give him trouble with his looseness and range imo. Styles make fights and I actually think he's all wrong for AJ, for now at least..

It´s really sad that Oritz is 37 years old but if GBP can push him in 2016 like in 2015 he can fight a really big name an could be a lineal HW champ. I would like to see him against fury

• 1 month later...

Luis Ortiz: I’ll fight Tyson Fury wherever

Is the win over Bryant Jennings, who had never been stopped, the best performance of your career to date?

It was not my best performance. I had been sick with the flu for two weeks ahead of the fight. But I knew I had to make sure that I continued with the fight regardless. I do think that my performance was powerful enough to have alerted the entire heavyweight division that a new force, or, if you want, a serious contender, has arrived.

What is the secret of your success?

I am a very experienced fighter. I have had the best boxing education with more than 325 fights [amateur and pro] under my belt. I believe I have the ability to adjust to any fighter and any style. That was evident in the fight with Jennings.

What does your victory mean to you, and the proud boxing history of Cuba?

I am very proud of myself. I’m also very proud how I am bringing Cuba back into the minds of all boxing fans. Cuba is one of the most accomplished countries in terms of boxing. The style and speed and all the things we have, they are taught to us at a very young age. This is what makes us great boxers.

Who would you like to fight next, and when?

All I can say is, I want to fight the very best in my weight division. I want to be the heavyweight champion of the world. I’m willing to fight anyone, any champion, any place, any time. I’m ready for anyone: Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder, Wladimir Klitschko. I know I can beat all of them.

It all depends on my promoter, Golden Boy. They will give me an opponent and I will be ready for them anytime.

You’re already 36. Is there a danger, after such a long amateur career, you’re already past your peak?

I feel I have been at my peak for many years now. I have simply been late [arriving] on the US heavyweight boxing scene. I have been fighting since I was in elementary school. Boxing is a very, very deep passion of mine. Now, it is a way to give my family a better future, and I tell you, no one will stand in my way of accomplishing this! In my eyes, I am the heavyweight champion of the world and if anyone, any other champion, is willing to challenge me, to face me, I can and will prove it.

Do you not consider Fury to be the real champion?

I do have a lot of respect for the heavyweight champions. They have accomplished a lot and have sacrificed a lot to be where they are. They do deserve recognition. I just want the chance to beat them and be [seen by all as] the next true heavyweight champion.

How impressed were you by Fury’s win over Klitschko?

I think his victory was something that was bound to happen. You see, boxing is very unpredictable and everyone has to be prepared. Fury was able to accomplish something because he was prepared. Now we are all waiting to see what the rematch [with Klitschko] will look like.

You are not annoyed that Fury beat you to it in ending Klitschko’s long reign?

No, not at all. I think Fury was able to shake up the heavyweight division and because of him, the division is now one

of the most exciting divisions to watch in 2016! I just want to get the opportunity to face him, or [WBC champion] Wilder, to prove I am a champion as well.

You would come to the UK to fight Fury?

Definitely. I want to fight him, either in the UK or here in the US. Wherever.

This interview was originally published in Boxing News magazine earlier this year

With a few more wins for each of them I'd really like to see Whyte step up to him. I think that could be a decent scrap. Whyte could give him trouble with his looseness and range imo. Styles make fights and I actually think he's all wrong for AJ, for now at least..

If Whyte could get his head together, and really train properly, he could give ANYBODY a hard night.

Sadly, he didn't bring 100% to the Joshua fight, and then looked fairly dismal in his next bout with that cabbie who's name I've already forgotten. I just don't think Dillian really wants it. No disrespect to the man, because it INCREDIBLY hard to train at world-class level, especially long term. (Believe me, I know.)

Sadly, Whyte is probably the next Arreola.

If Whyte could get his head together, and really train properly, he could give ANYBODY a hard night.

Sadly, he didn't bring 100% to the Joshua fight, and then looked fairly dismal in his next bout with that cabbie who's name I've already forgotten. I just don't think Dillian really wants it. No disrespect to the man, because it INCREDIBLY hard to train at world-class level, especially long term. (Believe me, I know.)

Sadly, Whyte is probably the next Arreola.

I think the injury stuff was more an excuse, after, Joshua beat him. It was a London fight - bragging rights, so you can throw out the textbook.

Whyte's last fight was against a guy that knew how to survive, so it wasn't pretty. His next fight is against a guy that wants to jump on the scene and make money. People will detract from Allen and say lack of experience but it's a good fight.

Whyte now has a trainer living in the UK, so should be in great condition. He has potential.

Whyte now has a trainer living in the UK, so should be in great condition. He has potential.

That's good news. It would be GREAT to see this guy finally at his best.

- but I still say Whyte doesn't have the mental toughness & drive to get into seriously good (world class) condition. A trainer can only do so much ......

That's good news. It would be GREAT to see this guy finally at his best.

- but I still say Whyte doesn't have the mental toughness & drive to get into seriously good (world class) condition. A trainer can only do so much ......

He's never struck me as being in particularly poor condition, just a little lacking in ring intelligence. He had Joshua in all sorts of trouble at one stage and didn't know how to capitalise, and it's not like Joshua's a technical genius.

--- Anyway, the latest is Ustinov who seems to have major management problems like Rigomortis is stalling signing the contract.

Nobody wants to watch Ortiz much less Ustinov, kinda lousy reward and lousier. Ortiz has already been gifted with his illicit belt, so welcome to big time low rent boxing Luis.