Best jab in current boxing?

Re: Best jab in current boxing?

Kahn? No fucking way. He has fast hands, but his jab doesn't do any damage. (No wonder it impresses Paulie. :laugh: ) It's a good jab, but far from "the best."

Oleksandr Usyk come quickly to mind.

HW prospect George Arius has possibly a better jab than Larry Holmes. Seriously.

So many others:

Robert Easter Jr. (incredible jab)

Antonio Russel

Carlos Cuadras

Dimitry Bivol (Holy CRAP is his jab nice!)

Gervonta Davis

Hugo Centano Jr. (not an elite fighter, but he has an elite jab.)

Jermall Charlo - As good as it gets.

Jimmy Wiliams

Uensal Arik

Keith Tapia.

thurman, maybe.

Marcos Forestal, maybe.

I'm tempted to put CW Youri Kalenga on the list, but despite his crazy speed & power, plus the shortness of his jab, his accuracy is kinda' questionable. He also sometimes throws his jab from too far away. - But when it's right, it's lovely to behold.

======================

Incredibly talented fighters who do NOT make the list, IMO, because they have virtually everything EXCEPT a good jab:

Errol Spence Jr. The guy's a monster with skills all over the place, but his jab is just meh.

Oscar Valdez. Another excellent fighter, though lesser known, who's main weakness is his jab.

There's also a young LHW with insanely fast hands all around, and really long levers, named Umar Salamov. His hands move so fast they're almost hard to see, and he has serious power to go with it. This guy could be the next Kovalev, but his jab just 'aint happening. (yet.)

Edited by Cableaddict

I was gonna say one of the Charlo bros. Glad Cableaddict was able to identify which one of the twins.

Its a shame a lot of fighters don't utilize a jab. Its the perfect punch to work off of, and it disrupts the opponents.

I would say for all time, majority of the fighters have always been confined to one or two type of effective jab, but Benny Leonard have had everything in him rapier, Paw, machine gun, telephone pole and many more.There are many more whom i would count in this categories such as Sonny Liston whose jab could had been labeled as “The Liston Piston” as it was struck some sheer brutal force.

Tommy Hearns, Tommy Loughran and Larry Holmes are some others who had best jabs among all.

Edited by Canelo

I think Kell Brook has a very good jab and a bit underrated but Wladimir Klitschko would be my choice. Klitschko has won so many fights by using the jab to set everything up and keep his opponent at bay.

Ricky Burns has a good jab and he uses it a lot in fights.

I can't agree with Wlad. OK, I really dislike the guy so that may affect my opinion here, but then again not really:

I've never been impressed with Wlad's JAB, per se. It's really quite average. What is special is his entire left hand. He has a fantastic ability, taught to him and honed by Steward, to turn the jab into a left (hook or cross) after he starts throwing it. This makes it crazy-hard for the opponent to judge. This, however, is also why the jab itself is not so great. To do what Wlad does, your jab jas to have 2 qualities that are not really good for jabs:

1: It has to be slightly on the slow side.

2: It has to be thrown more like a power punch, with your weight shifted forward through the punch. That is NOT how to maximize a power jab. A close power jab is supposed to be thrown off the back foot.

One more thing: Yes, Wlad was able to control fight by using primarily that "jab" as much as 95% of the time. - but He was only able to do this because all of his pet referees let him immediately clinch so much. I just can't give the man any respect for this. I mean, none.

Fell free to disagree, I can take it! :music:

Edited by Cableaddict

Best jab in boxing currently is Klitschko - shame he didn't use it to well vs Fury.

As for Khan, what has Malignaggi been sniffing?

You have to remember, Wlad was told to lose that fight!

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

================

Nicholas Walters

I understand why you'd say thing, but I will respectfully disagree, and here's why:

Walters, whom I am a HUGE fan of, never ever varies his timing. Everything is always thrown balls to the wall & full speed. An elite fighter could theoretically lock into that timing and thus negate it. This is his only true weakness. Since he also does this with his jab, I must consider him to NOT be an elite jabber, no matter how fast, crisp & accurate that jab is. (and it surely is.) A truly GREAT jab should be thrown at various speeds throughout the fight. Sometimes a rangefinder, lulling the opponent into position, and then sometimes a striking cobra. Larry Holmes, for instance.

That's just how I see it. Just another opinion on the internet! ;-)

Dat boy sure is talented, though. Boy Howdy .....

Edited by Cableaddict

Walters definitely knows what he is doing. There are surely better boxers out there, but he is just insane with that jab. Who else can come close to him in your opinion?

I already listed quite a few, earlier in this thread.

Again, I think Walters has a lovely, stinging jab, but I don't consider it "the best..." because he never varies it. Or not much, anyway, it's not like I study the guy's every move.

just my opinion .....