Another World champion fails drug test

WelshDevilRob

Golden Boy Promotions statement on Francisco Vargas failed drugs test

Golden Boy Promotions has issued the following statement with regard to WBC Super Featherweight World Champion Francisco "El Bandido" Vargas:

"As part of a voluntary testing program that Francisco Vargas requested ahead of his June 4 fight, he tested positive for clenbuterol.

"Francisco believes he tested positive due to ingesting contaminated meat in Mexico where clenbuterol is commonly used by ranchers in livestock feed. The Associated Press reported this week that this practice may impact athletes throughout the country ahead of the 2016 Olympics.

"Francisco has, is and will always be a clean fighter. That is why he insisted on this voluntary testing program ahead of the first defense of his WBC championship.

"He previously tested clean as part of this same voluntary testing regiment and in all of his previous fights.

"He will immediately leave Mexico to finish his training camp in the US in order to avoid any possible repeat of this situation and is fully cooperating with the California State Athletic Commission to submit to all required testing ahead of his June 4 title defense."

Source: Golden Boy Promotions statement on Francisco Vargas failed drugs test - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Another World champion fails drug test

Its a semi-plausible excuse Gav............as is the fact its in flu symptom inhalers.

Call me Mr Cynical...........?

Its on the banned list - end of. No matter what the source.

Lucas Browne just been caught for it.

Its also avail in 10 or 20ml bottles to inject yourself with and pretend you've got a sniffly nose.

Clenbuterol does not actually have much positive effect for athletes at all. If you read actual scientific data, there is nothing to support claims that it helps one to lose weight, nor that it can improve athletic performance in any way. It very slightly increases metabolic rate (VERY slightly) so perhaps an athlete might think it could help with training, but again, the science says no. There is no anabolic effect in humans. If anything, you might take it while training, hoping to get a beter workout (again, without any actual scientific basis) but you sure as heck would STOP taking it just before an event, because the one thing it COULD do is cause you to overheat, dehydrate, or cramp.

Them's the facts, kiddies.

Now, consider that Lucas Browne tested clean 6 days before his last fight, but then positive for Clenbuterol right after it, on top of the fact that his team insisted on the testing. Does this really sound legit to you?

Now consider how incredibly easy it would be to pay some poor waiter to put a drop of something in the guy's steak .....

Don't be so naive. You can buy a ref, you can buy the judges, but you still can't stop that pesky opponent form knocking your guy out. So, when that happens, here's the answer! Easy-peasy.

- At the same time, I truly believe that all top athletes, in all sports, are taking SOMETHING. However, only an idiot would use clenbuterol, when there are so many undetectable designer PEDs available.

Edited by Cableaddict

Don't be so naive. You can buy a ref, you can buy the judges, but you still can't stop that pesky opponent form knocking your guy out. So, when that happens, here's the answer! Easy-peasy.

- At the same time, I truly believe that all top athletes, in all sports, are taking SOMETHING. However, only an idiot would use clenbuterol, when there are so many undetectable designer PEDs available.

Until someone can provide evidence that he was duped, I'm sticking with the fact of his test result.

Also, if Clenbuterol has no effect on humans, why is it on the WADA banned list at all? Are there other substances with no proven effect that are also banned? If so, who the hell compiles these lists if not scientists?

As to the designer steroids, I can only assume they're a little pricey compared to the old stuff? And of course, just because science says something doesn't work, doesn't stop people believing it works and using it anyway - see homeopathy.

.... if Clenbuterol has no effect on humans, why is it on the WADA banned list at all? Are there other substances with no proven effect that are also banned? If so, who the hell compiles these lists if not scientists? ......

Do a little research. the answers to these questions will shock you.

Well I've done a little research and the results don't shock me(you really are Buzzfeed!): The list is compiled by a panel of experts and regularly updated. The experts include biochemists, doctors, pharmacists and academics, including the medical director of the IOC.

That suggests to me they must have a good reason for adding things to the list, so unless you can provide anything to the contrary, I'm at a dead end for the moment.

With the money these boxers have you would think they would buy produce from a trusted source.

"in Mexico where clenbuterol is commonly used by ranchers in livestock feed" If it's commonly used in Mexican meat why haven't tonnes more Mexican boxers tested positive for clenbuterol?

With the money these boxers have you would think they would buy produce from a trusted source.

"in Mexico where clenbuterol is commonly used by ranchers in livestock feed" If it's commonly used in Mexican meat why haven't tonnes more Mexican boxers tested positive for clenbuterol?

Probably because most of them only fight in Mexico, where PEDs testing is rarely done.

--- In boxing you can buy a ref, ranking, judges or drug testing, see TUE.

Our political/business leaders can't pass these drug tests, but they can sure bust poor boxers for legal over the counter/off the shelf stuff.

Moral, be a big shot so you can do the stomping instead of being stomped if you're so sociopathic that you can live with yourself, the current state of the world, boxing, and most of history.

Worth reading this - Five Mexico stars banned after failing drugs test - CNN.com

Thank you Buzzfeed.

"10 reasons why this boxer normally avoided Mexican steak.. number 6 will make you laugh"

But seriously I am finding myself leaning towards defending him on this rare occasion. If the statements are true then why would you volunteer for a test where the results still won't cause you that much trouble anyway. Makes me think that maybe he did indeed suspect it could be a risk and wanted to know for sure before he gets the proper tests? Maybe I've got all this backwards.

"10 reasons why this boxer normally avoided Mexican steak.. number 6 will make you laugh"

But seriously I am finding myself leaning towards defending him on this rare occasion. If the statements are true then why would you volunteer for a test where the results still won't cause you that much trouble anyway. Makes me think that maybe he did indeed suspect it could be a risk and wanted to know for sure before he gets the proper tests? Maybe I've got all this backwards.

You've got it, mate. Gav has condemned him and needs internet sources to vindicate him. If we use normal logic then it appears that Lucas has been done over. Gav is incapable of changing his opinion from his first post - so will never see Browne as innocent.

You've got it, mate. Gav has condemned him and needs internet sources to vindicate him. If we use normal logic then it appears that Lucas has been done over. Gav is incapable of changing his opinion from his first post - so will never see Browne as innocent.

Nicely passive-aggressive as always there Rob;-)

Yeah, god damn me for wanting "Internet sources"(read: evidence) before supporting a particular story. Your system is much better: "I've no proof of anything at all but I'm just going to believe this because it sounds like the sort of thing them pesky Russians would do."

I have no opinion at this stage whether Browne deliberately cheated or not, but the only fact we have at the moment is he failed the test he asked for, and until someone proves any wrongdoing, he has to accept the consequences of that failed test.

Oh, and that he weighed in at his lightest ever, then tested positive for a drug used to burn fat, which would be a very unfortunate coincidence.

Cable says Clenbuterol has no effect, but has so far offered nothing to support that. He may well be right, but if it has no effect, why have WADA's scientists banned it?

If the statements are true then why would you volunteer for a test where the results still won't cause you that much trouble anyway.

I have very little idea of how drug testing, or drug use itself, works, though I'm always trying to learn more from anyone who does.

I have no idea whether Browne cheated deliberately, one of his team made a mistake, some accidental contamination occurred either with him or his sample, or if he was framed by nefarious evildoers. Supposing he failed the test but Cable is right, and there is absolutely no demonstrable effect in humans? He could appeal on those grounds and I'd be with him all the way.

But at the moment, he's a guy who failed his own testing for something the WADA says gives an unfair advantage.

I agree with gav though, to be honest I'm no expert either and I get annoyed with people on twitter who claim to be so for now I think I'm going to follow the example and remain neutral until we have more facts. I'm like him as well in the respect that I'm always up for just listening to intelligent people and learning from them.

Edited by JrGooNer

Nicely passive-aggressive as always there Rob;-)

Yeah, god damn me for wanting "Internet sources"(read: evidence) before supporting a particular story. Your system is much better: "I've no proof of anything at all but I'm just going to believe this because it sounds like the sort of thing them pesky Russians would do."

I have no opinion at this stage whether Browne deliberately cheated or not, but the only fact we have at the moment is he failed the test he asked for, and until someone proves any wrongdoing, he has to accept the consequences of that failed test.

Oh, and that he weighed in at his lightest ever, then tested positive for a drug used to burn fat, which would be a very unfortunate coincidence.

Cable says Clenbuterol has no effect, but has so far offered nothing to support that. He may well be right, but if it has no effect, why have WADA's scientists banned it?

The proof is he passed a test a few days before and was told he would be tested again, Vada were involved because he requested them - What part of that don't you understand? He comes across as pretty articulate, so only a moron would then cheat knowing he would get caught.

You have no proof that he willingly took a banned substance.

The proof is he passed a test a few days before and was told he would be tested again, Vada were involved because he requested them - What part of that don't you understand? He comes across as pretty articulate, so only a moron would then cheat knowing he would get caught.

You have no proof that he willingly took a banned substance.

I have no proof he willingly took a banned substance, but I have not said he did. You decided to get personal by ridiculing my desire for actual information, yet you have no more proof that there was a conspiracy, except Browne says he tested clean the previous week(we only have his word for that too). Oh, and of course he seems like an intelligent guy, therefore he couldn't be a cheat.

I have said already, I'm open to the idea that he accidentally contaminated himself, or one of his team did, or the samples were contaminated accidentally, or he was framed by a conspiracy that somehow got past the VADA, or even that what he tested positive for is useless anyway.

But until I've seen satisfactory evidence to support any of that, he's just a guy who failed the test for a banned substance.

Francisco Vargas and drug testing, why and why bother?

by Scott Graveson

Over the past few days news has emerged of a failed drugs test by WBC Super Featherweight champion Francisco Vargas (23-0-1, 17), ahead of his June 4th bout with Orlando Salido (43-13-3-1, 30). Notably however the California State Athletic Commission will allow the bout to go ahead whilst the WBC haven't stripped Vargas, in fact they have willingly accepted his reason for the positive test.

As many will already know the reason that Vargas failed the test has been put down to the fact that Clenbuterol is used in Mexican meat. It was also “responsible” for 109 positive tests at the 2011 Under-17 World Cup, also in Mexico.

Read more: Francisco Vargas and drug testing, why and why bother? - - Boxing News - Ring News24