Anthony Joshua vs Charles Martin - Thoughts and Predictions?

WelshDevilRob

April 9th, 2016 at O2 Arena (Millenium Dome), Greenwich, London. American "Prince Charles Martin (23-0-1) will defend his IBF Heavyweight title against Anthony "AJ" Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs).

The contest will be promoted by Matchroom and shown live on USA Showtime, United Kingdom SKY Box Office, Panama RPC Channel 4.

How do you see this fight panning out and will Britain have a new World heavyweight champion?

Anthony Joshua v Charles Martin The Gloves Are Off HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnWnogongc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anthony Joshua vs Charles Martin - Thoughts and Predictions?

I think Martin will trouble AJ but just can't see AJ losing, maybe I've fallen for the hype. He almost looked too muscular last time out and may struggle late on. Either way I think we ll see a ko.

--- Joshua had a little lamb

His fleece was all American

Every punch that Joshua threw

Turned his lamb into barbeque

Of course this being the big boy one punch division as the weekend has shown, Martin has plenty of chances to turn my little ditty into something not so pretty...

Give us war por favor, or at least a fight to make us want more...

Have watched quite a few Charles Martin fights and he's good but tend's to be open and a little slow footed. His chin is certainly going to get tested and it'll be interesting to see how Joshua reacts to his power. Should be explosive either way but favouring Joshua to land first.

I hope he loses, though I've never seen Martin so he may be useless for all I know. But if Joshua wins, I dislike the precedent it sets for first protecting and then rushing fighters before they're ready. It would do him the world of good to lose and go back to learning his craft.

I hope he loses, though I've never seen Martin so he may be useless for all I know. But if Joshua wins, I dislike the precedent it sets for first protecting and then rushing fighters before they're ready. It would do him the world of good to lose and go back to learning his craft.

Not to mention, the precedent of buying your way to an Olympic gold medal.

Of course, this isn't AJ's fault, so I probably shouldn't hold it against him. At least he had the balls to face Whyte, and the guts to survive an early onslaught.

I can't even begin to predict for this fight, but I suspect that if Martin fight s SMART (and we don't know what he's like under pressure) then he can stay outside and safely pepper AJ until AJ gasses and falls over on his own accord. If he let's AJ get to midrange, and he drops his guard, then he might be in trouble. If nothing else, Aj does have serious power.

I really like Martin, personality-wise, so I'm 100% rooting for him to expose the Olympic fake, but I'm OK with either result. If AJ manages to KO Martin, then he will have finally earned my genuine respect.

The only outcome that will suck is if it goes to the cards and AJ gets a BS decision. - Or a BS TKO stoppage, like Broner just got from the ever-dubious Luis Pabon.

Not to mention, the precedent of buying your way to an Olympic gold medal.

Personally, I thought his semi-final was closer than his final - Camarelle just got old. If it's possible to buy gold medals, there's no way Britain was the first - we had enough trouble buying the olympics.

But of course, whenever a result happens that you didn't like or agree with, there must be a conspiracy.

Edited by gavpowell

Interesting take Gav, but I am not so sure this equates to rushing him before he's ready. The bodies have done their best to fuck up the belt situation, stripping Fury and Martins so happens to have been placed to win the IBF. A look at his record shows wins over absolutely fuck all in the grand scheme of things, and I think he fits the bill as a logical next opponent for AJ, it just so happens that there's a "World" belt on the line. They are about at the same stage in the career ladder, albeit Martins has had 9 more fights than AJ.

it just so happens that there's a belt on the line.

That's the bit I'm talking about, and I didn't feel Martin earned his shot either but there you go. Martin v Joshua would be a great fight without a title, but the addition of the title completely changes Joshua's career - what is he going to go back to British title fights if he wins on Saturday?

We'll either get the traditional British thing of "Let's give all the other Brits a shot at my title" or else some more very soft defences that teach him nothing, before eventually he runs into a fighter who isn't going to lie down and has a skillset Joshua has never learnt to deal with.

That's the bit I'm talking about, and I didn't feel Martin earned his shot either but there you go. Martin v Joshua would be a great fight without a title, but the addition of the title completely changes Joshua's career - what is he going to go back to British title fights if he wins on Saturday?

We'll either get the traditional British thing of "Let's give all the other Brits a shot at my title" or else some more very soft defences that teach him nothing, before eventually he runs into a fighter who isn't going to lie down and has a skillset Joshua has never learnt to deal with.

That's all a good point......I never considered the aftermath part of it!! What a shambles.

It's heavyweight boxing, so Joshua probably knocks him out in two and then people will awe at his power while the others ask who Martin beat anyway. Heavyweight fights like this rarely answer questions about chin, heart, stamina etc.

It's heavyweight boxing, so Joshua probably knocks him out in two and then people will awe at his power while the others ask who Martin beat anyway. Heavyweight fights like this rarely answer questions about chin, heart, stamina etc.

True dat.

If AJ wins by KO, it won't answer any important questions. - But if Martin wins by KO, it will answer a good number of them.

========================

Edited by Cableaddict

A couple of the guys state side think that AJ will do it.

I watched the Gloves Are Off last night and I got goose bumps galore from start to finish........they both want it and you can tell in their eyes their own reasons for choosing such a brutal sport to compete in..........

I actually like Charles Martin but I have to go with AJ on a KO win.........the atmosphere's going to be electric for the fight fans as for those two guys they've got to keep their heads - one guys got to concentrate on the biggest fight of his career and the other guys got to concentrate on keeping hold of what's he won.

Soooo excited is an under statement........I can't wait!!!

A couple of the guys state side think that AJ will do it.

I watched the Gloves Are Off last night and I got goose bumps galore from start to finish........they both want it and you can tell in their eyes their own reasons for choosing such a brutal sport to compete in..........

I actually like Charles Martin but I have to go with AJ on a KO win.........the atmosphere's going to be electric for the fight fans as for those two guys they've got to keep their heads - one guys got to concentrate on the biggest fight of his career and the other guys got to concentrate on keeping hold of what's he won.

Soooo excited is an under statement........I can't wait!!!

Loved Martin's confidence. But it was a boring head-to-head for me, the only time they got a bit ratty was when Martin was asked "who wins?"

I am hoping to watch a few of Martin's fights, before they fight.

Loved Martin's confidence. But it was a boring head-to-head for me, the only time they got a bit ratty was when Martin was asked "who wins?"

I am hoping to watch a few of Martin's fights, before they fight.

Sky Sports 1 are showing Martin's fights one day this week at 6.30pm I think

FWIW, Ioved that "Gloves Off" thing. No posing, just real talk and some honest thinking.

- Except the part where Martin is asked about the AJ hype, and he takes a loooong pause with a smile, then answers, "Yeah, why not?" - Which of course means he thinks the hype is complete nonsense, but he's willing to pretend otherwise to sell the fight. I mean, he might has well have said it in those words.

Beautiful.

My prediction is that Martin gets KTFO, in the early rounds.

so.... AJ is in real trouble ! :laugh:

=========================

==============================

Edited by Cableaddict

True dat.

If AJ wins by KO, it won't answer any important questions. - But if Martin wins by KO, it will answer a good number of them.

========================

If Martin does win then I hope he gets the credit and that it's not hidden under the calls of Joshua was a hype-job. Boxers can't win :)

If Martin does win then I hope he gets the credit and that it's not hidden under the calls of Joshua was a hype-job. Boxers can't win :)

Anyone involved in boxing these days has no right to feel aggrieved while they continue to support a system almost completely bereft of clarity - bad enough that there are four "legitimate" world title bodies to choose from, but when those bodies are making completely arbitrary decisions about their rankings and title awards, nothing will change.

Anyone involved in boxing these days has no right to feel aggrieved while they continue to support a system almost completely bereft of clarity - bad enough that there are four "legitimate" world title bodies to choose from, but when those bodies are making completely arbitrary decisions about their rankings and title awards, nothing will change.

Not sure who is "aggrieved" or why. The same four boxing orgs have been around since the 90's. It's fair that we all can wonder at some of their decisions. In this case - I would rate Joshua in the Top 15 heavyweights - so he's eligible for a shot. I agree that Martin shouldn't have been fighting for a vacant title but him and Glazkov were contenders. I like Kathy Duva but she saw a loop hole and jumped through it - she is from the Heavyweight era of King, Newman etc. It ain't right but these things happen.

Not sure who is "aggrieved" or why.

I was referring to "boxers can't win" - I feel no sympathy for anyone who tacitly endorses the current system - you want to buy a title? Fine, but don't be surprised if everyone else sees your gold is tarnished.