Burns gets world title shot - Result

The_budweiser

Ricky Burns can become a three-weight World champion when he takes on Michele Di Rocco for the vacant WBA World Super-Lightweight title at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on May 28, live on Sky Sports.

Burns can add World title glory at 140lbs to his reigns as WBO king at Super-Featherweight and Lightweight, with the 32 year old set to be roared on by his hometown faithful as he returns to Scotland in his first fight there in nearly two years.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

re: Burns gets world title shot - Result

This gonna be a last gasp hurrah type fight, with more of an eye on a final cash out fight??

Or is he expected to win this one?

Burns has had a weird career. Seemed he had a good start with a bit of excitement but then that waned a bit after a few loses to British level opposition. And then suddenly he outpoints Katsidis and smashed Mitchell, looked big and strong for the weight and followed up with a few decent wins. And then, got "found out" again and has had a few defeats since, almost resigned to be the not quite good enough at world level.

Still I guess he's made a fair bit of coin out of the fight game and he must be running out of chances for big paydays or / and title shots nowadays?

This gonna be a last gasp hurrah type fight, with more of an eye on a final cash out fight??

Still I guess he's made a fair bit of coin out of the fight game and he must be running out of chances for big paydays or / and title shots nowadays?

He declared himself bankrupt not long ago when the court ruled in Frank Warrens favour. So doubt he has money tucked away Ton as he would of had to have proven to the court he couldn't afford to pay back the money owed to Warren I would of thought. Win, Lose or draw I don't think its the last we will see Burns.

This will be Burns first fight in Scotland for near enough 2 years. Might try get to this one as big fight nights here are rare.

He declared himself bankrupt not long ago when the court ruled in Frank Warrens favour. So doubt he has money tucked away Ton as he would of had to have proven to the court he couldn't afford to pay back the money owed to Warren I would of thought.

Scotland has different laws to England but in theory he could have put it in his wife's name or something - a lolt of people dodge paying their debts that way.

You kidding me?! And Zlatichanin, who kicked Burns' ass, has YET to receive his FIRST world title shot! Disgusting...its all about having a name. And being from the right country.

Its not what you know Boz mate its who you know!!

So Broner gets elevated to super champion for winning a vacant title against Allakhverdiev, and now Burns fights for this very same title? Holy shit the WBA is such a joke.

Yep...you said it brother. WBA, WBC, IBF...all jokes. Maybe WBO is better, but not much better surely.

He declared himself bankrupt not long ago when the court ruled in Frank Warrens favour. So doubt he has money tucked away Ton as he would of had to have proven to the court he couldn't afford to pay back the money owed to Warren I would of thought. Win, Lose or draw I don't think its the last we will see Burns.

This will be Burns first fight in Scotland for near enough 2 years. Might try get to this one as big fight nights here are rare.

Didn't realise this! Maybe he will stick around a while longer then in that case.

So Broner gets elevated to super champion for winning a vacant title against Allakhverdiev, and now Burns fights for this very same title? Holy shit the WBA is such a joke.

Just another collective kick in the bollocks for the joke that is the sport of Boxing.

I am not even a boxing fan these days I'd say. I do't follow what's happening as closely as I used, I very rarely even watch a live fight anymore. But when I get to watching a card I am no longer arsed if it's a big name, or for a title of any alphbat...I just hope that it is a decent an even fight that entertains me while I sup a few beers and eat shit!

Ricky flogging a deadhorse; if he hasnt worked out that he is 'shot' yet the kid is in trouble!

I wouldn't say he was a 'shot' fighter.

I thought Burns put on a really good performance not too long ago against Omar Figueroa Jr in Texas, USA. And, if it wasn't for the referee taking 2 points that were unfair then he would of won the fight on a lot of peoples score cards. The judges score cards were wild.

Burns is technically gifted but is a fighter who needs confidence to be at his best. I think the Beltran fight took all of Burns confidence away, as he hasn't been his best since. I am hoping like the Martinez fight Burns can take confidence from the atmosphere that will be generated by the Scottish fans. If Burns can't put on a performance in Scotland when a world title fight is up for grabs then I would worry for his future but 'shot' is a bit of an exaggeration just now.

I also thought Burns gave a good account of himself against Figueroa. Although i didn't think he won, it was definitely much closer than the scorecards indicated. And we had to expect Laurence 'piece of shit' Cole to interfere with the action.

I also thought Burns gave a good account of himself against Figueroa. Although i didn't think he won, it was definitely much closer than the scorecards indicated. And we had to expect Laurence 'piece of shit' Cole to interfere with the action.

How did you score the fight, do you remember?

This is the thread at the time about Burns vs Figueroa Jr

http://www.koboxingforum.com/showthread.php?t=91787&highlight=Omar+Figueroa

great news...all them loses have been close decisions and only really bad loss was against a fighter named Crawford

home advantage a plus and hopefully he can win cause he deserves it

Job Biscuit (Like Burns...classy guy and great boxer)!!!

eh!! eh!!

I had Burns losing by 3-4 (2 points for holding included) points. But Cole repeatedly grabbed at Ricky's arm mid punch. Cole only let one fighter punch out of the clinch, and that was hometown Omar. Neutral ref would've made it an even closer fight, maybe a different outcome.

I wouldn't say he was a 'shot' fighter.

I thought Burns put on a really good performance not too long ago against Omar Figueroa Jr in Texas, USA. And, if it wasn't for the referee taking 2 points that were unfair then he would of won the fight on a lot of peoples score cards. The judges score cards were wild.

Burns is technically gifted but is a fighter who needs confidence to be at his best. I think the Beltran fight took all of Burns confidence away, as he hasn't been his best since. I am hoping like the Martinez fight Burns can take confidence from the atmosphere that will be generated by the Scottish fans. If Burns can't put on a performance in Scotland when a world title fight is up for grabs then I would worry for his future but 'shot' is a bit of an exaggeration just now.

I see the polar opposite...an average fighter that punched above his weight for a short while, with any real opponent quite clearly ducked....he had his moment but now its time to get out whilst he still has his faculties because I can see him getting hurt!!

Or is he expected to win this one?

Burns has had a weird career. Seemed he had a good start with a bit of excitement but then that waned a bit after a few loses to British level opposition. And then suddenly he outpoints Katsidis and smashed Mitchell, looked big and strong for the weight and followed up with a few decent wins. And then, got "found out" again and has had a few defeats since, almost resigned to be the not quite good enough at world level.

Burns definitely had a pretty unpredictable career, as you have mentioned. It seems to me he was never really consistent in his career. He had some good wins, but he also lost to some pretty average boxers.

Hopefully he will do well in his upcoming world title match.

I actually attended the Premier Boxing Champions card front row ringside when Burns fought Omar Figueroa.

Burns fought a good a fight. The fight was very close and that was against a much better fighter than, Zlaticanin

with the fight being close they always award the decision to the home town fighter. I think Burns knows that this

is his last run at world level and he's gonna fight the fight of his life to try and win that Lightweight Championship.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all down to venues and shit like that. They know Zlatichanin is very good but they fear, if he wins a world title, then they gonna have to organize fights down in Montenegro. What's wrong with Montenegro, idiots? It's a top tourist destination now. Anyway, in his last fight he went to USA to kick Redkach's ass. He'd be willing to go anywhere just to fight for a big strap.

• 1 month later...

Anthony Ogogo returns from injury

Anthony Ogogo (8-0, 4 KOs) will make his long-awaited return to the ring on May 28 at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, live on Sky Sports. Unbeaten Ogogo's professional…

Read more: Anthony Ogogo returns from injury - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Conor Benn added to Burns vs Di Rocco Glasgow card

Conor Benn returns to action after an impressive April debut with spots on two World title undercards – Ricky Burns’ vacant WBA World Super-Lightweight title clash with Michele Di Rocco in May 28 at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow and Anthony Joshua MBE’s IBF World Heavyweight title defence against Dominic Breazeale at The O2 in…

Read more: Conor Benn added to Burns vs Di Rocco Glasgow card - - Boxing News - Ring News24