HBO Boxing After Dark - Ortiz vs Thompson Thoughts?

repsac

So i'm pretty sure most are going with Ortiz in this one. What about the undercard? Sadam Ali vs Jessie Vargas. Seems to be a solid matchup. Have to favor Vargas, although i tend to root against him since that wide decision against Novikov.

I bit the bullet earlier this week and got a ticket for this card, mostly because the Thurman vs Porter fight fell thru.

Predictions

Ortiz by 8TKO

Ali by UD 114-112

Re: HBO Boxing After Dark - Ortiz vs Thompson Thoughts?

--- Don't know the first thing about Vargas/Ali, but Thompson near the end brought in as sacrifice for Ortiz.

Thompson an American hero who traveled to upset local studs Price and solis twice each. Would never count him out before this fight. The time is now and take care with any wagers.

--- Don't know the first thing about Vargas/Ali, but Thompson near the end brought in as sacrifice for Ortiz.

Vargas never impressed me much early on, but IN 2014 he started working with Roy Jones. (That alone is worth your attention.)

Jones specifically wanted to improve his ability to gain respect in the ring, and also his KO ability, specifically with a better LEFT HOOK.

- His first bout with Roy in the corner was Nov 2014, against Antonio DeMarco. Everyone thought he’d lose badly, esp as DeMarco is trained by Freddy Roach, but Vargas won a CLEAR UD. He looked very aggressive and accurate.

June 2015: He lost a fairly close UD to Timothy Bradley, but Bradley is very good.

--------------------------

Undefeated Sadam Ali is extremely skilled, honed in over 200 amateur bouts Very fast & aggressive. Excellent defensive footwork & head movement.

Ali has a rather unusual offensive arsenal: He favors the lead uppercut (a LOT!) and he throws a strangely-low right hand. While both of these things will trouble any opponent, they also are pretty dangerous. Good this this guy also has excellent foot & head speed.

In late 2014, he TKO’d my boy Luis Carlos Abregu ! I couldn't believe it. (Abregu is VERY good.) Oddly, Ali then only had one fight in 2015.

It's a very good matchup. Both guys have speed & skills. Both lack serious power, though Ali isn't exactly feather-fisted. Ali also has a 2" reach advantage.

My gut says Ali takes Vargas out.

===========================

Edited by Cableaddict

In the Prediction League have gone for Ali WUD and Ortiz WKo5th.

Ali vs Vargas is a cracking match-up for the vacant WBO World welterweight title. Was Bradley stripped or did he ditch the belt? Regardless, it's a close one to call but am backing Ali to win on points. Could go either way though.

As for Ortiz vs Thompson. "King Kong" has now a reputation for destruction, so needs to destroy the old "Tiger". I think he will and Thompson's days off resistance will leave him tonight.

--- Everyone thought Vargas KOed Bradley except dummy Pat Russell changed his mind.

Thankfully Russell promptly retired and can only blow scoring decisions now. I think the WBO may have stripped Bradley for fighting manny...only in boxing...

While I respect Tony I have had a hard time thinking this is a legit HBO Main Event, but it is no worse than what HBO's main events have been so far in 2016. I will even be bold and say to see Ortiz against a crafty vet is more intriguing than HBO's last 2 main events, but not by much

This was a fun night. Thompson put a little more resistance than i thought, and the fight between Ali and Vargas was a technical boxing matchup which i didn't think it would be. I sat right along where the fighter were doing their ring walks. Was able to meet and take pictures of everyone. He's a pic i took with my phone. I'll post more when i get back home tomorrow.

12524135_10207473818698016_8713169929148638986_n.jpg

Edited by repsac

Finally got the time to upload these pics. Sharing some here. The rest you can see from the link below. Which include Too Sharp Johnson, Jameel McCline, Eddie Chambers, Jim Lampley, and a bunch of prospects like Lamont Roach Jr, Kevin Rivers Jr, D'Mitrius Ballard, Zach Ochoa, Damon Allen, trainer Ruben Guerrero, Todd Unthank May and newly crowned interim WBC title holder Oscar Escandon.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207489253883886.1073741835.1064810316&type=1&l=b2652228ec

DSC02635.jpgDSC02627.jpgDSC02572.jpgDSC02606.jpgDSC02604.jpg