Do you believe Mayweather is retired?

The_budweiser

Do you believe Mayweather is retired?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Mayweather is retired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Do you believe Mayweather is retired?The more I read interviews and listen to boxing on radio, no one believes he is retired.

Today Shawn Porter says he doesn't believe Mayweather is retired.

On Talksport they suggested Floyd is waiting to see if Khan can beat Canelo before deciding whether to come out of retirement.

Thoughts?

Re: Do you believe Mayweather is retired?

He has earned insane amount of cash already ($700-800 million), which screams for retirement. He has gone past the Tiger Woods world record for highest earnings by an athlete in entire career. His manager has officially tweeted the star has retired.

Edited by boxingforlife

Floyd wont fight again; through all the bullshit that has followed his career and the claims he has cherry picked opponents, he has been a phenomenon for the sport and he deserves the '0' that he has striven to maintain for the final moments of his career....he wont risk it now his legacy is set!

In what way? He hasn't done anything unique, so far as I can tell.

I think he means his dedication to his training and his ring generalship and what he achieved in his career. Also the millions of people that have followed his career with interest. Well, that's what I think he meant.

He defo isn't talking about his personality or the drama outside the ring ;-).

I think he means his dedication to his training and his ring generalship and what he achieved in his career. Also the millions of people that have followed his career with interest. Well, that's what I think he meant.

Don't help him!

In each individual area though, I'm just not sure where he excelled:

Dedication: Maybe, though we now also have reason to suspect he may have been cheating, Armstrong-style, for years.

Ring generalship: I dunno, was he that phenomenal at controlling the ring? He mostly moved out of the way, it's not like he was forcing guys back or holding them in place.

Achievements: He had some excellent wins, but then again the cherrypicking comes in a lot, especially from the moment he left lightweight.

Has he increased interest in boxing? I'm not sure - maybe?

A phenomenon should be "we've never seen anything like this before" - like Ali, or Tyson. I think Mayweather did very well within the sport, but did he really trascend it? Did he take any of it to new heights? Did he set any records?

Don't help him!

Ring generalship: I dunno, was he that phenomenal at controlling the ring? He mostly moved out of the way, it's not like he was forcing guys back or holding them in place.

He could control fights or adapt to control or make fights go his way when they were turning against him. He made fighters make mistakes to allow him to get off his shots.

His defence often set up his own attacks and he could adapt, which is the downfall for so many fighters.

I think his ring generalship was really good Gav.

Has he increased interest in boxing? I'm not sure - maybe?

I think the answer to that is 100% yes. Whether that was positive or negative interest he certainly had fans tuning in and talking.

I think the answer to that is 100% yes. Whether that was positive or negative interest he certainly had fans tuning in and talking.

But did he add any new fan? His PPV returns were a bit hit-and-miss(we never even heard the Guerrero figures).

In what way? He hasn't done anything unique, so far as I can tell.

It is no secret that I have never been a fan of Floyd, however when you look at what he has achieved throughout his career and the levels of performance that he has maintained as well as the dedication to have been at the top until he retired at the age of 38, to say that he is anything less than a Legend, phenomenon, ATG or whatever other superlative fits the bill would be made out of spite!!

His record is incredible and he is arguably the greatest fighter of the last 30 years....thats unique in my book!