Price ready to resurrect his career - What can he acheive in the rest of his career?

The_budweiser

As David Price, all 6ft 8in of him, teetered on the precipice of career suicide, rescue arrived from two very different directions.

News came that for the second time he had been knocked out by a rival heavyweight who failed a drugs test after the fight.

His wife told him to stop moping and get back in the ring because he still has what it takes to become a world champion.

The scandal of how Erkan Teper’s steroid use was kept secret for five months after he flattened Price in their European title fight in Germany roused him from his stupor of virtual retirement.

The love and loyalty of his wife Jade has given him the conviction to act on his anger at ‘being cheated’ by Teper and before him American veteran Tony Thompson, whose stoppage victories had reduced his career to a train wreck.

Price girded himself to return to the gym and he will make his comeback to the ring in April, probably in his home city of Liverpool.

Talking for the first time since Teper abruptly rendered him unconscious last July, Price says: ‘For a long time after that I was living in dread of ever fighting again. I had given up on the game.

‘Any defeat is a psychological blow for every boxer. When it is as spectacular and humiliating as the one I suffered in Germany it is a devastating mental trauma.

‘It was far worse than the two losses to Thompson because they were referee stoppages, not flat-out KOs. I was in anguish for months. The urge to box was gone. Totally gone.’

David Price ready to resurrect his career as Liverpool heavyweight targets comeback to the ring in April | Daily Mail Online

What can he acheive in the rest of his heavyweight career?

Re: Price ready to resurrect his career - What can he acheive in the rest of his car

--- Price knows how to box, but never learned how to fight.

Dunno if he can ever learn as he seems the proverbial gentle giant drafted by big money into the fight game to be exploited by a highly idiotic and confused Ms Baloney or Ms Kitty or whatever he/she/it calls itself these days. Maybe he could get a fight with Dimintrenko as a fellow peer down in the dumps with himself after having been born with copious natural attributes. Loser retires after a few fare thee well fights to boost the kitty and winner gets better sparring.

Re: Price ready to resurrect his career - What can he acheive in the rest of his car

Enzo Macarinelli mark 2 but probably even more susceptible to permenant brain damage. Probably has a win or 2 in him to get back into the fold, especially since the division has opened up somewhat, but he will inevitably be brutally kayo'd again down the line unless he is carefully protected.

David Price: Wasted talent or Champion in waiting

by Stuart Bruno Brown

After the disastrous outing in Germany, against Erkan Teper, I’d like to share my thoughts on David Price.

Given the hype and KO power shown by Price in his early career and the fact that his name warrants such interest, throughout the article I judge and compare Price against the top prospects in the heavyweight division, not against the average.

Beginnings

Starting his amateur career with Long Lane ABC before moving onto Salisbury ABC Price amassed an impressive amateur record. His record in the unpaid ranks included becoming the youngest ever super-heavyweight ABA champion at the age of just 19, a gold medal in the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth games and a bronze in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Price has always shown that he has brutal knock-out power, but less well circulated is the fact that he has also shown that he can get knocked down on a fairly frequent basis.

Even in success at the Commonwealth games, Price was put down a staggering three times against Indian Varghese Johnson. This was with a head-guard and heavy gloves don’t forget. Price did show amazing recuperative abilities to go on to win the contest, but the warning signs were there.

Turning pro

Read more: David Price: Wasted talent or Champion in waiting - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I'm not sure what it is with price, always thought he was a pretty decent boxer but just think he lacks that competitive aggressive edge. I've heard he refuses to go away for training camps and be away from his family.

Not sure how much of a different that makes. He's a genuinely nice bloke and I hope he gets some success.

I think the defeats to Thompson have had a huge affect on him mentally as the we all thought the first fight was a one off and convinced he'd put it right second time around. Watched him few times in Liverpool and would probably do so again.

There are fights with the likes of Dereck Chisora, Dillian Whyte that can be made and would be very watchable. If he does get a win or two, he could fight Anthony Joshua. I don't think he beats anyone of note, his time has passed.

Feel sorry for dai price, remember when he burst on the scene? He was a beast. I think he should start his career all over again like George foreman did. His confidence must be rock bottom.

That's true. He should start new, anyone in his position would have pretty low confidence.

I hope he'll get up and recover.

I'm sure Price can still make a few bucks in the fight game, but I think his days as an exciting contender are over. I was absolutely riding the Price hype-train back when it was fashionable to do so, but I never really studied him at the time. (Sometimes it's fun to just go with it... )

Now that I HAVE studied him, I just don't think he's smart enough to be a top-level fighter. It really does take a certain type of intelligence. (Despite the fact that, and I can't believe I have to write this, Tyson Fury is the current HW champ of the world.) David Price is incredibly one-dimensional, and he has a sort of "deer in the headlights" look to his eyes when in battle. That's exactly how Thompson caught him the first time: Price threw a combination up close, then literally froze, and the crafty veteran Thompson took full advantage.

Ring IQ, fast reflexes, and the ability to react / adapt to what your opponent is doing in the ring, these are innate traits.

They can be honed, but they can't be TAUGHT.

David Price will never have them.

(Neither will AJ, but that's a different discussion. :whistle: )

---------------------

Edited by Cableaddict

David Price: Wasted talent or Champion in waiting

by Stuart Bruno Brown

That's a VERY well written article.

Who is Stuart Bruno Brown?

I hope he's a champion in waiting, but it's hard to judge now. I believe it will be hard for him to achieve much now.