Canelo makes offer to fight Smith

The_budweiser

Frank Warren has confirmed that an offer has been made for Canelo Alvarez to fight Liam Smith.

Speaking with Kugan Cassius, the promoter admitted the offer to fight the flame haired Mexican was being considered.

“We’re contemplating an offer from Alvarez. We’re looking at that, we’ll think about it and see where we go.”

No specific details were given but Warren continued “We’ll see, I’m not going to get in too much detail – It’s a big fight for Liam and there’s other big fights out there for him. We’re looking at it.”

Smith successfully defended his WBO World Super-Welterweight crown in style on our December show and has made it clear he wants to fight the big names.

Canelo, who recently captured the WBC World Middleweight Title is rumoured to be seeking a catchweight bout below the 160 lbs limit or at 154 lbs before his mandated super-fight with Gennady Golovkin later this year.

Head of Golden Boy Promotions Oscar De La Hoya has previously confirmed Canelo will box on the most coveted Mexican Bank Holiday dates in May and September this year.

Speaking with ESPN Deportes, De La Hoya revealed "There are many possible opponents. We will talk and decide whether to fight at 160 or 154 pounds."

The potential mouth-watering fight would open a huge door for ‘Beefy’ to gain U.S exposure and victory would set up some blockbuster bouts on both sides of the pond.

Source: Boxnation

Re: Canelo makes offer to fight Smith

Say, this could be a great fight!

I've only seen Smith in his last 3 fights, but he sure does look good. REALLY good. Canelo will be one heckuva' step up, but I think Smith might just be the goods.

If I was Smith I would stay clear of Canelo. I think Smith needs some more difficult/harder fights to learn from before stepping in the ropes to fight Canelo.

Interesting fight in my opinion, but I'd love to see him fight Saunders first and the winner should unify against Golovkin in september. I know, not realistic, but I'd love it to happen that way.

I'd like to see that with CALLUM, not Liam !

"Warren says Canelo makes offer to fight Smith"...problem is Warren says a lot...I seem to remember Warren saying a certain monster was really struggling to make weight recently...

I agree, Warren is stupidly throwing names about. Wrong division. Smith would never go near Canelo or James Kirkland - fake champ is Liam.

• 3 weeks later...