Kovalev vs Pascal 2 - Why?

WelshDevilRob

Kovalev-Pascal rematch announced at press conference

Although the fight is still two months away, there was already tension between unified light heavyweight title holder Sergey Kovalev and former world champion Jean Pascal at Monday’s press conference held at Bell Centre’s La Cage – Brasserie Sportive. Main Events and InterBox formally announce the rematch for the Unified WBO, WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight World Championship set to take place on Saturday, January 30 at Bell Centre. The event will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.

Read more: Kovalev-Pascal rematch announced at press conference - - Boxing News - Ring News24

-------------------

The first fight, back in March, was an eighth round TKO win for "Krusher". Since then Kovalev has stopped Nadjib Mohammedi. Pascal has since been fortunate, to get a decision, against Yunieski Gonzalez. Why the need for a Kovalev vs Pascal rematch?

Re: Kovalev vs Pascal 2 - Why?

--- Well, Pascal stunk up the first fight and got knocked out, stunk up the Gonzalez fight and would've been knocked out but for referee interference and got the booed decision, so given Kovalev needs to stay busy so he can land the shyster Stephenson, there it is.

Pascal still very quick and deluded enough to Freddie Roach as his new trainer can turn him around, so Kovalev needs this kind of search and destroy sparring and another KO to keep the juggernaut going. Been a while since I've seen a fighter so on top of his division lose all respect as Stephenson has, a complete waste.

Why not?

Beterbiev declined (for now) and Stevenson is online for mid 2016. Who the heck else is there right now?

Also, Pascal looked very good against Bute, and Bute just proved that he's still got it to go, so maybe Pascal could put up a decent challenge in the rematch, having learned a little from the first fight. Pascal actually lost to Gonzalez, that much is clear, but Gonzalez now officially has that loss, (makes me insane.... ) plus I think the rematch pulls more fans.

After Sergey beats Pascal again, and if Stevenson starts delaying for all he's worth (which is probable) then I'd LOVE to see Kovalev - Gonzalez.

• 1 month later...

Sergey Kovalev on Pascal: I should have stopped his career

Sergey Kovalev- Jean Pascal II Media Conference Call Quotes. The pair meet on 30th January, 2016 at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec.

Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev – WBO, WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight World Champion

On Pascal changing his training camp:

“What he says and what he will do in the ring is two different things.”

On his game plan for this fight:

“I don’t have any plans for the fight. We will go to the ring. A boxing fight is a street fight. No rules. It doesn’t matter what he will bring. I must be ready for anything. I don’t think about Pascal. I don’t think about what he will be. He has good motivation and he has a new coach, but I just should be ready for anything. If he will bring something better, it doesn’t matter.”

On being overconfident in the rematch:

“I am prepared the same with 100% responsible and I understand he is more motivated for this fight – more than the first one. He wants to be looking good in front of his fans in Canada but I am sure, and I know, that half of his fans shoot to my side after the last fight. He will pay for this January 30. We will see January 30 who he is. Usually who fought against me they are not going on in their careers afterwards. I didn’t destroy him because referee stopped the fight and saved his career. He forgot to say to referee thank you for saving my career. I have to finish my job. It should be a very different fight.”

On being angry at Pascal:

“This fight is personal fight. It is something personal for me. It is not everything true that he is speaking. I understand for why he is doing this. He is trying to make me angry. I am giving him a reminder. I didn’t do my job last time. I should have stopped his career.”

On his potential fight with Andre Ward:

“Andre ward is a great boxer. I am very happy he came to my division and we can make a very good fight for the fans. I want to fight with him, but now I have to stay focused on my next fight with Jean Pascal. ”

Jean Pascal – Former light heavyweight world champion

On changing trainers:

“Freddie Roach is a great coach. The big difference is he has the eye of the tiger. He sees things that other people can’t see. With his experience, he just polishes it for me. Camp is going beyond my expectations. The last ten days I was tired but now I am right back on track.”

On drug testing:

“It is just to show the world that we are in a clean sport and we are clean boxers. We can show the world that we are clean athletes. I am happy Sergey agreed to do this.”

On the early stoppage:

“Kovalev said I am talking a lot, but he is the one that is talking a lot. He says he is going to knock me out and end my career. I am still on top. I am still here. I am still selling out arenas even though I am not a champion. Sergey talks a lot. I hope this time he is going to be able to back it up.”

On John David Jackson’s comments:

“John David Jackson should mind his own business. He is not in my body and in my mind. He doesn’t know shit about me. I am still a warrior. I am still in my prime. The first fight was stopped early. Sergey was winning but I was coming back.”

On the bad blood between him and Kovalev:

“I know what I have to do to win this fight. Freddie Roach taught me what I needed to learn. The 30th I am going to apply everything that Freddie taught me. The last fight everyone was saying I need a rematch because it was Kovalev’s closest fight ever. It is going to be a good fight. The main thing for me is to stay focused.”

On why this fight will be different:

“This is all about continuing to improve myself with a new trainer, new technique and new approach. This will allow me to demonstrate a new Jean Pascal in the ring on January 30.”

On the importance of the first two rounds:

“I am not looking to make any excuses for the first couple rounds of the first fight. I am making those changes with Freddie Roach now and I do not anticipate being in the same mindset in this fight.”

On short training camp with Freddie Roach:

“I am not starting from scratch. I have many years of boxing. We are just tweaking some small mistakes to deliver big changes.”

Read more: Sergey Kovalev on Pascal: I should have stopped his career - - Boxing News - Ring News24

“I am still in my prime. The first fight was stopped early. Sergey was winning but I was coming back.”

He's got THAT wrong, too.

Pascal is more delusional than Haye, Guerrero, and Amir Kahn all put together. :laugh:

Jean has always been a poor mans Roy Jones Jnr - he's got the deluded part though :)

Agree - little reason to have this fight again. First one was sporadically entertaining but barely and I don't see all that much to look forward to in this one. At least let's hope this is just one more step on the road to a meaningful fight (Ward hopefully) later this year.