Naoya Inoue Moving Up To 118..........claims Chocolatito

selij

WBC flyweight champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (44-0, 38KOs) is looking at a possible ring return in February. He says there are plenty of options for him after retaining his title earlier this month with a knockout victory over former champion Brian Viloria at New York's Madison Square Garden.

http://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/chocolatito.jpg

The fight Gonzalez would want most is the man he defeated in 2012, Juan Francisco Estrada, who holds the WBA/WBO world titles at flyweight.

"The truth is, I have not heard about the rematch, only that they are offering a very small purse. If they do not pay me what I'm asking, I will not fight. [They are offering] close to $500,000, but that fight is worth much more because three titles would be unified. I'm number one [pound-for-pound] in the world, and it's not worth fighting for such little money," Gonzalez said.

"[My team] is mentioning the possibility of going for a championship fight at 115 pounds. There are many opponents. There is also the possibility of fighting with Argentine Juan Carlos Reveco. We'll see what happens. It is a fact that I will defend my title in February. I would like to sincerely fight Estrada and want to get paid what we deserve."

"I would want $1.5 or 1 million [for Estrada]; if not, there won't be anything. Estrada is the one who is pushing to fight me. I already beat Estrada. I beat Viloria, an opponent who many said would be difficult and I battered him and stopped him, and Estrada could not."

Regarding a super-fight with Japan's Naoya Inoue, the champion of the 115-pounds under the World Boxing Organization, Gonzalez wants to face him but says he was told the boxer is possibly moving up after his next defense.

"He is a difficult opponent, but we'll see what happens, because from what I understand he will move up to 118 pounds," Gonzalez said.

And another fighter calling for Gonzalez is highly respect WBO junior flyweight champion Donnie Nietes, but Gonzalez doubts the Filipino veteran actually wants the fight.

"Donnie Nietes supposedly wants to fight me and unify titles, but when we were at 105-pounds and 108-pounds - I met him in Mexico to talk about [a possible fight] and he didn't want to. I honestly do not think he wants to [fight me]," Gonzalez said.

Source: Haxel Ruben Murillo

Re: Naoya Inoue Moving Up To 118..........claims Chocolatito

I don't see how Gonzalez is gonna get 1.5m or even 1m for a rematch with Estrada. He just made what like 250k for his defense against Viloria? Seems like his head is swelling from all this pound for pound #1 ranking talk.

Re: Naoya Inoue Moving Up To 118..........claims Chocolatito

A few things to note-

The $1.5m is for the fighters to share (at least that's what he said on twitter a few months back, not all for himself)..that's about the same as Lemieux got to have his arse beat by Golovkin and only marginally more than what Broner got to fight John Molina (which was $1.25m). Whilst we can blame Gonzalez for wanting some money we need to remember the US has been over-inflating purses for years and fighting Stateside is like selling a player to Chelsea, you ask for more money (Dawson and Hopkins shared close to $2m for their first fight, which was a total farce)

Inoue has said he views his immediate future at 115lbs. His next bouts are to be Parrenas (December 29th) and then likely a Narvaez bout (likely on HBO next year). According to a recent interview with Joe Kozuimi he wants 3 bouts next years before really focusing on Gonzalez.

Gonzalez Vs Amnat is to come AFTER Amnat's next bout, which will be against Myung Ho Lee in December. Should be an easy win for Amnat. My Thai friends have shown real doubt on the Amnat bout. Worth noting that Gonzalez has himself got an over-due mandatory (Vs Nawaphon) and Amnat will be expecting another mandatory in the not so distant future.