Andre Ward’s multi-fight deal with HBO is official

selij

After weeks of speculation, Andre Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) has agreed to a multi-fight deal with HBO and will return to the ring Nov. 21 in the co-featured bout on the undercard of the highly anticipated Miguel Cotto-Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fight at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas

http://e0.365dm.com/12/09/660x350/Andre-Ward_2825564.jpg?20121227133646

The recently inked deal was announced by Ward’s promoter, Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports, and will find the super middleweight champion making his debut as a light heavyweight and set in motion a potential high-profile showdown with 175-pound champion Sergey Kovalev next fall. Ward’s opponent has yet to be formally announced but all signs are pointing to 38-year-old Alexander Brand (24-1).

Ward’s deal includes three fights. Once on the Cotto-Canelo undercard, then again next spring with the final fight being against Kovalev (28-0-1, 25 KOs) in what could possibly be for the mythical pound-for-pound title.

Yahoo Sports Source

ESPN Source

http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/home-box-office/hbo-boxing-85795239.jpg

Re: Andre Ward’s multi-fight deal with HBO is official

Problem here is with a 3 fight deal and Kovalev at the end of it is that there's not going to be any HBO pressure to force a competitive matchup in the first two contests. The exhibition bout against Brand is just about acceptable after such a long layoff pre-Smith but I'll be disappointed if the spring bout isn't a solid one

Problem here is with a 3 fight deal and Kovalev at the end of it is that there's not going to be any HBO pressure to force a competitive matchup in the first two contests. The exhibition bout against Brand is just about acceptable after such a long layoff pre-Smith but I'll be disappointed if the spring bout isn't a solid one

Indeed. That's the problem with ANY multi-fight deal.

In this case, it could well be that Ward is simply looking to cash out against Sergey. IMO he has little chance of winning, nor of being a true force at 175 in general, (too many monsters coming up or already in the water) so a loss to Kovalev could be his retirement plan. If it wasn't, he'd surely be looking to fight serious LHW opponents in those first 2 fights.

Also, Ward got paid so much money to sign with RocNation, his great-great grandkids won't have to work a day in their lives. Andre may already be thinking "Fuk dis noise, I don't need to get my brains scrambled by Kovalev, Beterbiev, Stevenson, etc." We might be looking at 2 no-hoper opponents, and then Andre doing a boring safety dance, cruising to a forgettable decision loss against Sergey.

Edited by Cableaddict

He debuts at light heavy against to no hope opponents, and thats the build up for a bout with Sergey? hmm. Not thrilled about this news.

You're absolutely right - I quite enjoy watching Ward and always have, but he seems determined to waste time. He's the heir to Calzaghe in that respect - so, so talented, but reluctant to ever leave home or really push himself.

You're absolutely right - I quite enjoy watching Ward and always have, but he seems determined to waste time. He's the heir to Calzaghe in that respect - so, so talented, but reluctant to ever leave home or really push himself.

You can't really blame him when HBO and/or RocNation is shoveling $$$ his way for fighting the likes of Smith, Brand, etc. I think i'd much rather he just not fight until next fall against Kovalev.

Just got an ESPN alert saying Ward has swelling in his knee, fight for the 21st is scrapped. lol

Nah, no swollen knee. Swollen ego.

Ward was talking only recently about the possibility of having his own card instead. Like he's some kind of PPV star.

--- Oh, dayamn, there goes the Canelo/Cotto card down the drain in a flash.

Hello, Oakland where his dear ol' mama soothes his tortured gold medal soul that nobody knows about or cares about...2016 better look out for his comeback against Alexander Brand for sure.