Are we seeing the beginning of a new golden era in British boxing?

BoztheMadman

Recently we have witnessed several surprising upset victories by the British fighters. Jamie McDonnell's two wins over previously undefeated Tomoki Kameda was certainly the greatest. Few expected him to best Kameda twice. Then we had Terry Flanagan first beating the favoured Jose Zepeda and then annihilating Diego Magdaleno, who hadn't been stopped before, in only 2 rounds. We also must mention Lee Selby's victory over Evgeny Gradovich and Kell Brook's victory over Shawn Porter, which is perhaps the most significant one in this mix. Anthony Joshua is also doing very well for the time being, steamrolling over everyone he faced so far and Anthony Crolla is also looking very promising, as he was obviously denied a world belt in his last fight against Darleys Perez. The only setback lately has been Groves losing to Badou Jack, but Groves was always a wild card, a guy with talent and power but also quite unstable and rather easy to hit, because he gets reckless and walks into punches. He's also a rather small super middleweight, frankly. Kevin Mitchell lost to Linares, but he looked good before that and he can still surprise and perhaps win a world belt in the rather weak lightweight division. I always maintained that he's one of the hottest English and British talents, for he can do it all, box and punch. And of course, at super bantamweight there are Frampton and Quigg, who are doing great at the moment.

Anyway, things are looking up for the British boxing, which until quite recently lacked major talents and was full of guys who had the talent but not motivation or fortitude to really succee on world stage. Junior Witter, Ashley Theophane, Audley Harrison, Dereck Chisora and we also can add David Price to that list now. Will any of the guys I mentioned in the beginning of this thread join this list? Well, Flanagan is still relatively unproven, despite his impressive victory over Magdaleno. A fight against Linares or even Crolla or Mitchell will prove wether he really is all that or just a power fighter. I think Selby, Brook, Joshua and also McDonnell are most likely to remain successful, even though Brook is in a very tough division.

Re: Are we seeing the beginning of a new golden era in British boxing?

DeGale also put in a great performance away from home against Dirrell.

We have always had fighters in and around the mix at world level through the late 70's when I started watching Boxing and before that.

We are certainly starting to see some strength in most divisions,the lightweight division may be open worldwide but domestically so many good fighters.

DeGale also put in a great performance away from home against Dirrell.

We have always had fighters in and around the mix at world level through the late 70's when I started watching Boxing and before that.

We are certainly starting to see some strength in most divisions,the lightweight division may be open worldwide but domestically so many good fighters.

Thats right! He gets overlooked too much by the media, so I also overlooked him this time. Lol. He is def one of the most talented Brits today. :thumb: Like Mitchell, he can box and punch, which is not too common.

Recently we have witnessed several surprising upset victories by the British fighters. Jamie McDonnell's two wins over previously undefeated Tomoki Kameda was certainly the greatest. Few expected him to best Kameda twice. Then we had Terry Flanagan first beating the favoured Jose Zepeda and then annihilating Diego Magdaleno, who hadn't been stopped before, in only 2 rounds. We also must mention Lee Selby's victory over Evgeny Gradovich and Kell Brook's victory over Shawn Porter, which is perhaps the most significant one in this mix. Anthony Joshua is also doing very well for the time being, steamrolling over everyone he faced so far and Anthony Crolla is also looking very promising, as he was obviously denied a world belt in his last fight against Darleys Perez. The only setback lately has been Groves losing to Badou Jack, but Groves was always a wild card, a guy with talent and power but also quite unstable and rather easy to hit, because he gets reckless and walks into punches. He's also a rather small super middleweight, frankly. Kevin Mitchell lost to Linares, but he looked good before that and he can still surprise and perhaps win a world belt in the rather weak lightweight division. I always maintained that he's one of the hottest English and British talents, for he can do it all, box and punch. And of course, at super bantamweight there are Frampton and Quigg, who are doing great at the moment.

Anyway, things are looking up for the British boxing, which until quite recently lacked major talents and was full of guys who had the talent but not motivation or fortitude to really succee on world stage. Junior Witter, Ashley Theophane, Audley Harrison, Dereck Chisora and we also can add David Price to that list now. Will any of the guys I mentioned in the beginning of this thread join this list? Well, Flanagan is still relatively unproven, despite his impressive victory over Magdaleno. A fight against Linares or even Crolla or Mitchell will prove wether he really is all that or just a power fighter. I think Selby, Brook, Joshua and also McDonnell are most likely to remain successful, even though Brook is in a very tough division.

Good post Boz.

Few fighters have done well, like you mentioned. I am disappointed UK doesn't have a household name currently. The likes of Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch have all retired in recent years. Joshua looks like he may be the next household name, there's a real buzz about him.

You forgot to mention Frampton, Boz. Really good talent, although he didn't look too good in his last outing.

Good post Boz.

Few fighters have done well, like you mentioned. I am disappointed UK doesn't have a household name currently. The likes of Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch have all retired in recent years. Joshua looks like he may be the next household name, there's a real buzz about him.

You forgot to mention Frampton, Boz. Really good talent, although he didn't look too good in his last outing.

No, I didn't. I just buried him in the bottom of the first column. ;-)

I remember around 2007 when we had about 6 world champions at one point (for about a week possible, it wasn't a long period anyway). Frank Warren had most of the top British named fighters and was raving to his Sun reading public how we were on the crest of a wave and British boxing was at its best moment. Some of the names though holding belts doesn't scream elite though! From what I can remember at this time

Joe Calzaghe

Haye

Enzo Macarinelli

Junior Witter

Gavin Rees :haha: (Frank Warren worked wonders here)

Maybe another one down at lowers weights possibly i can't fully remember? Anyone recall if there was another at this period?

We also had:

Hatton entering his superfight with Floyd

Froch on the verge of a world title fight

Not sure how our top guys compare with now, but there just seems to be less clamour for boxing these days. There's no real global stars.

At the time of the above there was still Oscar De La Hoya, Roy Jones tailoring off, Hopkins...Light welter up to middleweight was stacked with talent, names like Winky Wright, Jermaine Taylor (having beaten Hopkins a few times and drawn to Wright), Cotto, Shane Mosley, Margarito, Judah and then Floyd and Manny moving through the weights. And while all that was going on we had several world belts on these shores. It was some achievement, if somewhat nondescript at the same time!

Maybe it's because I am not as deeply into boxing these days, but are there any glamour names or bouts these days to match up with those named above?

I remember around 2007 when we had about 6 world champions at one point (for about a week possible, it wasn't a long period anyway). Frank Warren had most of the top British named fighters and was raving to his Sun reading public how we were on the crest of a wave and British boxing was at its best moment. Some of the names though holding belts doesn't scream elite though! From what I can remember at this time

Joe Calzaghe

Haye

Enzo Macarinelli

Junior Witter

Gavin Rees :haha: (Frank Warren worked wonders here)

Maybe another one down at lowers weights possibly i can't fully remember? Anyone recall if there was another at this period?

We also had:

Hatton entering his superfight with Floyd

Froch on the verge of a world title fight

Not sure how our top guys compare with now, but there just seems to be less clamour for boxing these days. There's no real global stars.

At the time of the above there was still Oscar De La Hoya, Roy Jones tailoring off, Hopkins...Light welter up to middleweight was stacked with talent, names like Winky Wright, Jermaine Taylor (having beaten Hopkins a few times and drawn to Wright), Cotto, Shane Mosley, Margarito, Judah and then Floyd and Manny moving through the weights. And while all that was going on we had several world belts on these shores. It was some achievement, if somewhat nondescript at the same time!

Maybe it's because I am not as deeply into boxing these days, but are there any glamour names or bouts these days to match up with those named above?

Update****

There was Clinton Woods too - IBF Light Heavy champ until he met Antonio Tarver in 2008

Update****

There was Clinton Woods too - IBF Light Heavy champ until he met Antonio Tarver in 2008

Junior Witter held a belt around that time. And I think Nicky Cook or Arthur.

Edit: oops didn't see you mentioned Witter already.

Junior Witter held a belt around that time. And I think Nicky Cook or Arthur.

Edit: oops didn't see you mentioned Witter already.

Nicky Cook!!! Great shout, think he was the one I was trying to think of. Good work.

Think Arthur then beat him for the title didn't he?

• 2 weeks later...

Nicky Cook!!! Great shout, think he was the one I was trying to think of. Good work.

Think Arthur then beat him for the title didn't he?

No, it was the opposite actually, although Arthur himself thought he won that fight...haven't seen it.

• 1 month later...

Seeing as Fury won 3 belts from Klitschko recently, I would definitely say yes to that. And it is a good thing as well. Boxing was invented in Britain, so a new Golden Age for the nation that invented the sport is all good.