Pacquiao's next fight to be his last...

Ton

Jusy read this over on the BBC.

With him hoping to gain a seat in the Senate in 2016 Manny has said his next fight will likely be his last.

Can't argue with it being the right time for him to retire, with a great legacy and career in tow. Megarich superstar in his country to boot.

With Floyd and Manny both retired would it be fair to say that they are the last truely global boxing superstars that just the general public would be aware of?

Re: Pacquiao's next fight to be his last...

--- TUE 49-0 was never global, more like MGM Floydy centric.

All he ever aspired to be unless he says "I do" with Beiber with Ellerbee as best man. Big global that.

Put aside your hate for a moment.

If you stopped people in the street in Europe (not so sure how big western boxing is in asia really) and mentioned Floyd Mayweather many would know the name, know him as a boxer. Like the world knew Ali or Tyson.

Get over it lad!

--- Average non boxing Euro wouldn't know about TUE until Manny fought him.

Filipinos of course know TUE and now Chinese thanks to Manny.

What absolute rubbish - at the very least , the Hatton fight completely launched Mayweather's name in the UK - he was being mentioned on the news, Hatton was doing the talk shows, the papers were full of photos and stories about the fight and the bout was trailed all over the place on TV to advertise the PPV. Almost nobody doesn't know who Mayweather is.

And yeah, he got TUEs, which you say makes him guilty of being a cheat. You know who started that trend? Texan guy called Armstrong, whom you said was completely innocent and had never failed a test.

Put aside your hate for a moment.

--- Now, now, it ain't hate when I'm having fun with boxing fans, particularly of the TUE 49-0 persuasion.

TUE=therapeutic use exemption, only the biggest scandal in the boxing world. Hey, I thought you followed boxing.

https://roberto00.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/say-it-aint-so-flofloyd-mayweather-jr-finally-busted/

The Thomas Hauser article linked in the above/\, or you can go straight on to him here:

Floyd Mayweather took WADA-banned IV before Manny Pacquiao fight, according to report

As to your global claims, an article here on The Worlds Greatest Ever Boxer Global Poll headquartered in Vegas back in August of 2009. Please do note the figures of Manny and his results compared to what TUE got, we're talking global shut out over TUE. You can also see the influence the Brits waged as the entire world called in over a weeks time, tens of millions of calls. Poll conducted by Ron Borges, Al Bernstein, Thomas Hauser, Colin Hart, and Jean Phillipe Lustak. Now TUE is globally recognized, but not before Manny made him so and exposed he and Travis Tygart for the moralistic cleaning up boxing slimeballs they are.

World's Greatest Boxer Results Are In: Who's Number One?

Funnily enough, WADA said it was nothing to do with them because the WBC don't subscribe to WADA.

That poll is "Who is the greatest boxer?" not "Have you heard of these guys?" and the fact Pacquiao is overwhelmingly the greatest ever featherweight is laughable. It's the first I heard of this poll and only boxing fans will have voted on it, not Joe Public, so again you misunderstand because you can't bear the thought Floyd beat Pacquiao and beat all the other guys you said he'd lose to.

Yes i guess it is the right time for him to retire, even though he may have some fight left in him.

He`s done more then enough in the sport, its just to bad he had to end it on such a bad note, with all his excuses for the Mayweather fight.

Funnily enough, WADA said it was nothing to do with them because the WBC don't subscribe to WADA.

That poll is "Who is the greatest boxer?" not "Have you heard of these guys?" and the fact Pacquiao is overwhelmingly the greatest ever featherweight is laughable. It's the first I heard of this poll and only boxing fans will have voted on it, not Joe Public, so again you misunderstand because you can't bear the thought Floyd beat Pacquiao and beat all the other guys you said he'd lose to.

Now now Gav, don't let sense prevail when someone is arguing a case (badly) to suit his agenda!

This spat we are having is a mute point anyway. My question was are these the LAST TWO global boxing superstars we are likely to see, regardless if one of them became famous because of the other (which they didnt)?

Is boxing really at strength to produce global superstars in future?

--- If someone like Manny or Kbros comes along they will go global.

Naz was up there but quit prematurely. The Chinese have the potential to control belts in house and create record setting fighters aka TUE, but it remains to be seen if the Chinese take to such a low brow sport.

• 1 month later...

I hope he will challenge Kell Brook for the IBF and vacant The Ring title for his final fight in order to further solidify his status as one of the greatest fighters of his generation. Should he win, he will become a 3-time welterweight champion and also the only boxer in history to become a lineal champion in 5 different weight divisions (3 from the original weight classes).