Can tall fighters be inside fighters?

Cableaddict

Commenting recently on Deontay WIlder's fights with both Duhapas and Molina, both fights in which Wilder appeared to be working on his inside game, I wrote:

"I think Deas is making a huge mistake. Tall fighters with long arms simply can't fight on the inside. When Deontay throws those uppercuts, he's automatically too far away from the target, and that leaves his own chin exposed. I don't see any way around that. Maybe this new tactic will make Povetkin think twice about driving forward, but not likely. I mean, how else can he possibly fight Wilder? "

Do you agree?

Have there ever been any top-ten fighters (in any weight class) with a really long reach for that division, who excelled on the inside?

Re: Can tall fighters be inside fighters?

Domestically Callum Smith very overlooked facet of his game.

Say, I never heard of Smith before (not much exposure in the USA) but he looks pretty good!

And you're right: Wile he typically fights "tall" & outside (really well, too) he knows how to rough it up on the inside. Good shout.

Smith has a fight against Rocky Fielding coming up in November. That should be a real cracker.

Edited by Cableaddict

• 2 months later...

I agree with you on this one. Tall fighters with long arms cannot really fight on the inside. It`s physically impossible. And why would they? That long reach gives them a huge advantage over smaller fighters in any bout.

Amir Imam's loss yesterday to Adrian Granados is another case in point.

BOTH men have unusually long 74" reaches. For some reason, Imam was trying to fight on the inside all night, but could make anything happen.

Edited by Cableaddict

tall fighters will struggle on the inside because they won't get the leverage they need, however, this will not stop them from slugging. it just means when they go in to trade, they have to keep some distance from the opponent to get full leverage,

• 2 months later...