What a crap weekend

iamasadlittleboy

This weekend has a hell of a lot of fights and that's great, but why are so many of them bloody terrible?

Does anyone really get excited by the idea of Mayweather Vs Berto? Whyte Vs Minto? Joshua Vs Cornish? Martirosyan Vs Smith? Stevenson Vs Karpency? Bundrage Vs Charlo? Quillin Vs Zerafa?

I know some are looking forward to Groves Vs Jack but for me that's one of the sports worst champions vs a man who's mouth writes cheques that his ass can't cash. Spence Vs Van Heerden is a step up for Spence but that says more about the American who has been fighting at a disappointing level for such a raved about fighter.

There are some GENUINELY good bouts taking place. Hibbert Vs Ryan III should be a thriller, Salido Vs Martinez II could well be a classic, Avalos Vs Valdez is a GREAT test for Valdez but they are so heavily outweighed by crap that it's hard to really get up for another weekend of garbage.

*checks that the Leffe's are in the fridge*

Re: What a crap weekend

but why are so many of them bloody terrible?

We've both seen worse weekends Scott tbf. And you can always root for the underdogs in the hope of an upset or two. It wont be remembered as a crap weekend if the puncher's chance Berto klumps Mayweather round the swede and gets a result. Stranger things have happened in our beloved sport.

Well... honestly, the last few Haymon cards have been pretty good. I think the first fights were just to whet people's appetites, and build intrigue for the real cards he had in mind. I mean, Mares, and Cruz was a surprisingly good match up, and event... if you can forgive the "wrestling". As an added note, you also have to remember that some of his fighters are relatively fresh, and need building up, but I agree... that some are getting too much building against meh competition.... Gary Russel Jr. fought too many easy fights before fighting anyone great, and look how that ended for him. Haymon is doing good, but he needs to throw some of his new bloods into the ring with better competition sooner, they don't have to be A class competition, but they at least have to be able to stand a chance against his new rising stars,

Edited by Boxing_Sage

Most fights this weekend have a very big favourite, which makes them look very ordinary, but I'm really looking forward to Salido vs Martinez II and I also like Jack vs Groves, which I consider a very close fight. Maybe an upset in one of the other fights and I'm absolutely fine with this weekend.

How can anyone look forward to Joshua vs Cornish? Its like looking forward to the the next government cuts, it's a a slaughter, a mismatch, a legalised and public execution an ISIS beheading...eurgh

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk

Maybe I should reword it, I'm looking forward to Groves Vs Jack, should be a close fight. I will watch Joshua vs Cornish just to see the inevitable KO. :laugh:

He'll retire with a record similar to Marciano's, but that won't matter as Rocky fought the tougher opposition. Floyd is clearly an ATG, and he clearly deserves credit.... but he focused more on the money aspect, than resume aspect. I realize that fighters only have so much time in the ring, and is good to make big bucks with as little damage as possible.... but damn it, Floyd should have taken more risks. Now, it's too late He'll be remembered, for sure, but not as fondly as he could have been.