Oleksandr Usyk gets his 8th KO, but looks a little suspect.

Cableaddict

Today, the exciting CW prospect Oleksandr Usyk got a TKO stoppage against the fairly light-fisted Johnny Mueller. This surprised no one, of course, as Usyk is a faast, athletic & powerful offensive machine. I am a huge fan, which is really saying something given the incredible depth of talent in the current CW division. (The most exciting division in boxing today, despite almost no network broadcasts in the USA for most of the top fights.)

So what's the problem, you ask?

I actually thought Usyk looked kind of awful for the first two rounds.

While he's an amazing offensive machine, He's developing a bad habit of leaning in with his head. For two rounds, I was watching the fight as if his opponent, and I kept reflexively throwing a virtual OH right, because Usyk was continually wide open for it.

Sure enough, Muller connected with one near the end of round 2. Had that been Drozd, Kudryashov, or Makabu, Usyk would have woken up on Tuesday.

Not surprisingly, Usyk came out for round three in a much more upright & safe stance. I'm sure Ali Bashir reamed him out during the break.

I'm still a HUGE fan of Usyk, but tonight I saw a guy who can definitely be beaten, given the serious talent currently residing in the CW division.

Re: Oleksandr Usyk gets his 8th KO, but looks a little suspect.

Today, the exciting CW prospect Oleksandr Usyk got a TKO stoppage against the fairly light-fisted Johnny Mueller. This surprised no one, of course, as Usyk is a faast, athletic & powerful offensive machine. I am a huge fan, which is really saying something given the incredible depth of talent in the current CW division. (The most exciting division in boxing today, despite almost no network broadcasts in the USA for most of the top fights.)

So what's the problem, you ask?

I'm still a HUGE fan of Usyk, but tonight I saw a guy who can definitely be beaten, given the serious talent currently residing in the CW division.

--- Oh the hue & cry over nutin'.

Two rounds of sparring & then when Usyk unloads, Muller beat down easily. Me thinks Usyk don't tick yer boxes that need strokin'.

--- Oh the hue & cry over nutin'.

Two rounds of sparring & then when Usyk unloads, Muller beat down easily. Me thinks Usyk don't tick yer boxes that need strokin'.

You don't see how he was leaving his chin exposed for 2 rounds?

You think that's a good idea against the current crop of elite CW's?

Terrible form:

I was watching the fight as if his opponent, and I kept reflexively throwing a virtual OH right, because Usyk was continually wide open for it.

Usyk%20Leaning%20-%201.jpg

--- You need better material.

He looks to be leaning in with hands up, hardly wide open, applying pressure to draw out an attack he can counter.

Like you stated, Muller a light puncher as your clip shows. It was fluff for fluff the first two rounds until Usyk unleashed and then it was over almost instantly. You don't like his form, OK, but maybe next time he has another style you'll be raving about because he'll be fighting a different style. He fought near a perfect fight this time around, better overall defense than Floydy except that he whacks guys out.