What got you into boxing?

Faulks

Easy question.

Who or what got you into boxing?

Im not trained in the sport. Should of done when i was younger. One of my biggest regrets.

I got into it due to four fighters really.

Ironmike

Eubank

Collins

Benn

Started watching these when i was younger and got hooked.

Re: What got you into boxing?

Easy question.

Who or what got you into boxing?

Im not trained in the sport. Should of done when i was younger. One of my biggest regrets.

I got into it due to four fighters really.

Ironmike

Eubank

Collins

Benn

Started watching these when i was younger and got hooked.

im 27 so watching the likes of eubank/collins/lewis/tyson/hamed got me into it

The fight that really got me hooked was Honeyghan v Don Curry....That took me hook line and sinker!!

I trained mostly in Thai and KB though myself and fought in both,but the boxing was always my favourite to watch,but it was'nt enough for me when I trained in it!

my father was an amateur fighter in his young days and sometimes i watched him fighting..i trained in muay thai some years ago until i had a open shin fracture that kicked me out of the fight game... but boxing was always my fav. sport... the fights that really got me into it were some vhs-recorded classics..the likes of ali/frazier/hagler/tyson..and of course the famous former GDR-boxing-star: henry maske... mlol//

My grandad was an armature boxer so that sparked an interest. But what really done it was when my grandad took me to a club, and I spared - I was about 9 and I loved it.

Then I got the internet and searched endlessly for fights to download. I saw someone post about BoxingBanter was a good place to join. So I did and got really interested in it.

I've posted this so many times on different forums but for the very last time .

As a ten year old my dad let me stay up late to listen to the SRR v Randy Turpin fight in 1951 & 58 years later I'm still a big fan & get to fights whenever I can York Hall is a big favorite of mine but I have been all over I have followed hatton & calzaghe to the states my two British boxers that I'm expecting big things for at the moment are Kell Brook & Darren Barker

My brutal cnt of a step-father. At age 14, enough was enough and I learned how to fight back.

I fought right through the years until I was just short of my 29th birthday. I retired from fighting 22 years ago, but still enjoy helping the kids along.

I could make feather until I packed in, albeit harder to do the last couple of years... Nowadays, I walk around at mark 'F'...

Next size up from Marquee! mlol//

• 4 months later...
I grew up in a small town in Newfoundland and we didn't have cable television but every time A big fight was on my older brother and I would trek a couple of miles down the old train tracks to my uncles friends house.There all the local boys[adults ] would be in there drinking smoking and watching the fight ,just an excuse to drink and get pissed mostly.That's when I got hooked.It was like watching a great movie you had everything,romance ,death,life, courage,Humility ,laughter.I looked at a boxers fight as ones epic journey through life most notably seen in great fighters like the always humble Morales , the funny show boat Héctor Camacho and the Gatti vs ward trilogy . just watch Gatti and ward's last fight and you will know what I'm talking about.

When I was young, I was really into wrestling

My uncle was really into boxing. We're from Montreal, Canada, and he and my other uncles (and my dad) bought some PPVs. Stéphane Ouellet, Éric Lucas, Oscar De La Hoya and Arturo Gatti were their favorite boxers.

I remember going to my uncle's house on PPVs night .. just to watch THEM watching the fight ! It was so hilarious. Screaming at the TV, applause at the end of rounds, Hi-5, etc ! When Éric Lucas beats Glenn Catley for the World Title. It was tremendous.

I saw each Lucas fight since then.

And Gatti/Ward came in ... love at first sight !

My earliest memorys

My earliest memorys of boxing was listening to some world title fights on the radio with my dad in the early 70s but what got me hooked was the old ITV special fightnights when ali was champ.Me and my dad use to go up to my grandads cos he had a better tv than us and watch the thrilling fights.My dad was always into boxing and i use to love the stories about the old greats( rocky marciano his fav ).I went to most of the live fights with my Dad and followed Herol Graham for years.He use to take me up to St Thomas gym in sheffield to watch them train and spar it was then he showed me a 15 yr old schoolboy and said remember his name he will be world champion.

As always my Dad was right as Naz won the world title.

• 4 years later...

I sat down one evening started watching and it was Barry McGuigan, his Dad sang Danny Boy in the ring. It was an era when Eubank, Benn, Collins, the great Michael Watson were fighting one another and a great era at that. Over the pond you had Sugar Shane, Tito Trinidad, Barrera/Morrales, Iron Mike and a whole load more........Naz came on the scene and that was it, the trips then started up and down the country and over the pond........

• 4 years later...

Strange that this thread got bumped up, but i'll bite.

Got into boxing because of my father. He would watch all the big fights in the 80's. I recall glimpses of watching Hagler vs Leonard, some Tyson fights, etc. In 1994 my father took me to Lennox Lewis vs Phil Jackson in Atlantic City. Was my first live fight, my father had been to several in Atlantic City previously. Several months later he asked me if i wanted to go to Vegas for a fight, and as a stupid kid i said "no, didn't want to miss any days of school." That fight turned out to be Moorer vs Foreman. My mother went in my place with my father. I wouldn't attend another live fight until 3 years later, that being Sugar Ray Leonard's last career fight against Hector Camacho. By that time i was already hooked, would watch fights on HBO, Showtime, etc. Mostly the big names like DLH, Holyfield, Lennox, Trinidad, Roy Jones, etc.

In 2001 i started working with some co-workers that got me into the lower weight classes, and kept telling me about fighters i should check out from the past. Like Lupe Pintor, Wilfredo Gomez, Chacon, Olivares, and many more. I would order DVDs and VHS tapes online. Then in 2004/05 i became big on collecting digital fights, from there on it was over. I was hooked, no turning back. Now i try to attend as many fights as possibly.

I was working out in the gym at college. Saw 2 pairs of 16 oz gloves over in the corner, so me & a friend put them on and went at it like untrained fools.

Big Fun! I was instantly hooked. Since I was studying physiology, I started focusing on boxing as one of my main areas of study. That was when I started watching pro fights more seriously. Became a huge Sweet Pea fan. (Yes, I'm getting old. )

A few years later, I was training in NYC and fighting in the ams.

-Until I eventually got KO'd, :faint: came to my senses, quit, and switched to cycling.

I actually stopped following pro boxing at any serious level for a long time. Got back into it when the internet took off, (yes, I'm getting old) due to these kind of forums.

Edited by Cableaddict