Where next for George Groves and Chris Eubank Jnr? [spoilers]

The_budweiser

The dust is settling on a fight that truth be told did not quite ignite the way people hoped it would. Those banking on an all-out war were disappointed as George Groves and Shane McGuigan came up with the perfect game plan which showed who really was the world class fighter as he used his jab to pretty much school the chiselled but very much lesser opponent.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Where next for George Groves and Chris Eubank Jnr? [spoilers]

[h=1]George Groves v Chris Eubank Jr: What The Fight Means For Both Boxers[/h]George Groves won the WBA and IBO super-middleweight titles in an action packed domestic bout in the semi final of the World Boxing Super Series tournament.

George Groves v Chris Eubank Jr: What The Fight Means For Both Boxers - Boxing News - Ring News24

Groves needs to start shopping for Fathers Day cards, since Callum Smith will soon be his Daddy.

- Smith won't be stymied by all that back-foot defense Groves used to frustrate Jr.

Plus, Smith has a 78" reach ! (Groves has only 72" & Jr has 72.5" ) That's one heck'uvan edge.

------------------------

Jr simply needs to find a new trainer.

He's done great up to now, fantastic improvements in many ways, but his offense is far too 1-dimensional. Much like Joseph Parker, the guy has no plan B, no ability to adapt in the ring. Even though I STRONGLY think Jr beat Groves, it certainly wasn't an impressive fight for him. Very few really clean blows landed, and terrible ring generalship.

Fixed that for you, since he doesn't have one.

i assume you're just making a joke. But for the record:

Who is Chris Eubank Jr's trainer? - Boxing News

I think Davies has done a remarkable job with Jr, actually. But they seem to have hit a brick wall.

they knew exactly what to expect from Groves, yet Jr swung for the fences, instead of trying to maneuver & box Groves. After the first few rounds, it was obvious this wasn't working to everybody, even the teenage girls working the concession stands.

But round 12 looked exactly like round 1, except for a higher output of punches.

Edited by Cableaddict

i assume you're just making a joke. But for the record:

Who is Chris Eubank Jr's trainer? - Boxing News

Not a joke, more of an indictment - it's been reported that Junior himself is in charge, similar to Naz in his later years, and certainly between rounds there seemed to be nothing useful from the corner. Eubank says the cut affected his vision, but he never acted like it in the ring.

He has improved since the Saunders fight, but he's nothing like a world-class fighter based on what we've seen so far. And I don't even rate Groves that highly. Kudos to the Eubanks for being largely honest and classy in defeat.

they knew exactly what to expect from Groves, yet Jr swung for the fences, instead of trying to maneuver & box Groves. After the first few rounds, it was obvious this wasn't working to everybody, even the teenage girls working the concession stands.

So your opinions are:

It was a robbery

Eubank was landing with loads of his haymakers and Groves was doing nothing

It was a close fight but the cards were way off, and so were the stats and the commentary

Eubank had the wrong plan and it was obvious to everyone it wasn't working

You scored the rounds for him...so it was working after all?

If it wasn't working, what were you scoring?

Edited by gavpowell

Not a joke, more of an indictment - it's been reported that Junior himself is in charge, similar to Naz in his later years, and certainly between rounds there seemed to be nothing useful from the corner. Eubank says the cut affected his vision, but he never acted like it in the ring.

He has improved since the Saunders fight, but he's nothing like a world-class fighter based on what we've seen so far. And I don't even rate Groves that highly. Kudos to the Eubanks for being largely honest and classy in defeat.

So your opinions are:

It was a robbery

It was a close fight but the cards were way off, and so were the stats and the commentary

:haha: Live footage of Cableaddict....

law-of-holes.png

So your opinions are:

It was a robbery

I was scoring the fact that Groves landed even less than Eubank. Whis is a fact.

(No shovel needed.)

Everyone seems hung up on the fact that Groves shut Eubank down. Yeah, well, great. But Groves didn't do squat, himself. How does that win rounds?

Jr said himself, at the end of the fight: "I thought I did enough in the second half to win the fight."

And he was correct.

I was scoring the fact that Groves landed even less than Eubank. Whis is a fact.

(No shovel needed.)

Everyone seems hung up on the fact that Groves shut Eubank down. Yeah, well, great. But Groves didn't do squat, himself. How does that win rounds?

Jr said himself, at the end of the fight: "I thought I did enough in the second half to win the fight."

And he was correct.

honestly cable, what drugs you taking brother, i need some of that shit

(No shovel needed.)

Nothing except repeatedly land his jab,

Chris Eubank thought he just about nicked it.

Chris Eubank's "trainer" thought he lost it.

Chris Eubank Sr thought he lost it.

Virtually everyone who watched it thought he lost it by swinging and missing instead of boxing. This doesn't mean we're all right and you're wrong of course, but when you can't even agree with yourself on what happened, it's a pretty poor show.

Chris Eubank Sr thought he lost it.

I was really surprised at those comments especially after saying his son was better than Floyd Mayweather in the past and issuing other crazy statements.

I didn't think he would see past his tinted perception of his son.

Was refreshing and good to hear his comments for a change.

I was really surprised at those comments especially after saying his son was better than Floyd Mayweather in the past and issuing other crazy statements.

I didn't think he would see past his tinted perception of his son.

Was refreshing and good to hear his comments for a change.

Just trying to build Jnr up, and it worked to a certain extent. Snr knew he wasn't as good as he was made out to be. That being said, Jnr has the potential (with the right trainer) to become a good boxer.

Just trying to build Jnr up, and it worked to a certain extent. Snr knew he wasn't as good as he was made out to be. That being said, Jnr has the potential (with the right trainer) to become a good boxer.

I still think he could of won the fight or at least had a better chance if he boxed on the back foot. It was evident to see fighting on the front foot wasn't working and was playing into Groves hands.

Maybe another coach would of came up with a better fight plan before or made changes during the fight.

I'm waiting eagerly to see if he makes any changes.

honestly cable, what drugs you taking brother, i need some of that shit

I'm taking drugs that affect my ears, so that I can't hear massively-biased commentators that said nothing every time Eubank landed a nice flurry. - Which he actually did, quite a bit. They were just mostly partially blocked.

And Grove's jab wasn't landing very much, despite what those same idiots kept saying & what the OBSCENELY incorrect punch stats said.

I really don't care what the rest of the world thinks. I know what I saw.

An update on George Groves shoulder injury

The WBA super-middleweight champion was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary hospital moments after his unanimous points win over Chris Eubank Jr.

The 29-year-old was practically fighting with just one arm for the last couple of minutes of the Ali Trophy semi-final at the Manchester Arena.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I'm taking drugs that affect my ears, so that I can't hear massively-biased commentators that said nothing every time Eubank landed a nice flurry. - Which he actually did, quite a bit. They were just mostly partially blocked.

And Grove's jab wasn't landing very much, despite what those same idiots kept saying & what the OBSCENELY incorrect punch stats said.

What bias commentary was this?? Was it an American showing you watched or did you get the ITV PPV stream that the people in the UK would have had to buy??

If it was the ITV stream they have been invested in Eubank for a number of years now. He was THE fighter for whom they began to show fights again on their channels and also decided to start their own PPV events off of his success. So it would be crazy to suggest the commentary for this channel were bias AGAINST their flagship boxer.

for your information, i dont watch any fights at all with sound, havent since 2010 when they all got too much for me, i'm glad you say the rest of the world, even including Eubank jr's senile father called it the right decision, also looking at your posts on the subject its clear you are little unclear of what you saw. Gav has already pointed out this to you, if you need any more re-iteration on how your posts add up to complete and utter nonsense let me know and i'll give you a Gav no2 breakdown of your moronic opinions again

for your information, i dont watch any fights at all with sound, havent since 2010 when they all got too much for me, i'm glad you say the rest of the world, even including Eubank jr's senile father called it the right decision, also looking at your posts on the subject its clear you are little unclear of what you saw. Gav has already pointed out this to you, if you need any more re-iteration on how your posts add up to complete and utter nonsense let me know and i'll give you a Gav no2 breakdown of your moronic opinions again[/QUOTE]

Careful, now.

My opinion is clear, even if you don't agree with it. And nothing I said conflicts with itself.

Perhaps you should check your ego at the door. (Or I could show it to you. The door, that is. )

for your information, i dont watch any fights at all with sound, havent since 2010 when they all got too much for me, i'm glad you say the rest of the world, even including Eubank jr's senile father called it the right decision, also looking at your posts on the subject its clear you are little unclear of what you saw. Gav has already pointed out this to you, if you need any more re-iteration on how your posts add up to complete and utter nonsense let me know and i'll give you a Gav no2 breakdown of your moronic opinions again[/QUOTE]

Careful, now.

My opinion is clear, even if you don't agree with it. And nothing I said conflicts with itself.

Perhaps you should check your ego at the door. (Or I could show it to you. The door, that is. )

close fight and robbed says otherwise....

moronic

--- Middle is Jrs natural division, but Golovkin, Canelo, and Jacobs would tear him a new one and likely Brooks would figure out how to outbox him.

He's not a natural fighter and not a good boxer, but he's physically built for the job, just not mentally equipped. Sr shortchanged the kid upstairs.

I think he simply started to believe his dad's hype about him, and thought he'd be able to slug his way past Groves.

Combine that with a bad trainer, and... well there you go.

I think this will be a great learning experience for him, and he'll come back better than ever in his next fight. (still at 168.)

--- Sanders was a great learning experience for him and he didn't learn a thing.

Could drop him off at MIT or Oxford for a year, and same thing. Mental deficient is mentally deficient, but if he hangs around, could be he gets to make some more coin before quitting.

--- Sanders was a great learning experience for him and he didn't learn a thing.

Sure he did. His defense improved dramatically since then, and he learned to select his punches better, and really sit down on them.

Sadly, two factors failed him against Groves: (Even though Groves barely landing shit himself)

His ego, clearly believing he could just steamroll through Groves, and bad preparation, i.e. having no alternative offensive plan.

I blame the first on his Dad, and the second on his trainer. Jr actually deems to be humble & level-headed, when interviewed alone. He also seems quite intelligent & well spoken.