Shields vs Hammer: Undisputed World Middleweight Title

Undefeated

So, less than 48 hours to go now before the first bell in this Showtime main event, forget Quillin vs Truax or Loma vs Crolla, this is the fight of the weekend right here.

Live on Showtime in the USA and Box Nation in the UK, two-time Olympic Gold medallist and reigning WBC, WBA and IBF world middleweight champion Claressa 'T-Rex' Shields will put her undefeated record on the line against undefeated WBO world middleweight champion Christina Hammer aka 'Lady Hammer' in a winner takes all grudge match.

I had previously commended Showtime for their promotion of this fight with two All Access programmes and airing the contest on prime time Saturday TV on their main channel, all of that is fantastic for the sport but there was a final presser yesterday (staged in what looked like some kind of pub or something with a cheap backdrop) and Showtime don't appear to have made this footage available, also, there's nothing scheduled to screen the live weigh-in as far as I can see, that should be taking place later today but we might not get to see it live.

Anyway, besides the promotion dropping off towards the end I am interested to learn if anyone else is excited about this fight and what your predictions are and will you be tuned in Saturday night/Sunday morning?

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Shields vs Hammer: Undisputed World Middleweight Title

--- Cecilia Braekhus my only fav female boxer and I haven't watched a second of her fight .

Nor any other women. I can respect their choice to fight, so they can respect my choice not to watch. That ain't the way I see women though certainly on the frontier women were Sometimes the difference in life or death, so if we were in those situations, I want to train them in firearms and hand to hand self defense. However, the best self defense has always been the mind, so could be many women naturally outstrip many men on that front!

Edited by LondonRingRules

I attended the fight. Had a blast. But fans of Claressa Shields are super annoying. They aren't boxing fans, they're Claressa fans. I had an argument because i said Shields won 8-2 in rounds. I was told i didn't know what i was talking about. It was a clean sweep. All 3 judges had it the same score as me. Was nice meeting Joey Gamache, he was training Otto Wallin. Talked a bit about his mugging and broken jaw from a couple months ago. Sam Peter was pretty cool to meet. I interrupted him while he was eating chicken wings. lol. Talked a bit to Boo Boo Andrade, he's fighting Sulceki in June/July in Providence. Collazo said he's angling to get the winner of Crawford vs Khan. Anthony Dirrell said he has no interest fighting in Michigan, unless thats where they pay him the most money to fight. Alicia Napoleon talked about how she's ready to face Claressa next, and anywhere. Zab Judah was in good spirit, asked if i was making the trip to Verona in June when he faces Cletus Seldin. I said i'll consider it. Tracked down Jimmy Paul at the end of the night. That was probably the highlight for me.

I attended the fight. Had a blast. But fans of Claressa Shields are super annoying. They aren't boxing fans, they're Claressa fans. I had an argument because i said Shields won 8-2 in rounds. I was told i didn't know what i was talking about. It was a clean sweep. All 3 judges had it the same score as me. Was nice meeting Joey Gamache, he was training Otto Wallin. Talked a bit about his mugging and broken jaw from a couple months ago. Sam Peter was pretty cool to meet. I interrupted him while he was eating chicken wings. lol. Talked a bit to Boo Boo Andrade, he's fighting Sulceki in June/July in Providence. Collazo said he's angling to get the winner of Crawford vs Khan. Anthony Dirrell said he has no interest fighting in Michigan, unless thats where they pay him the most money to fight. Alicia Napoleon talked about how she's ready to face Claressa next, and anywhere. Zab Judah was in good spirit, asked if i was making the trip to Verona in June when he faces Cletus Seldin. I said i'll consider it. Tracked down Jimmy Paul at the end of the night. That was probably the highlight for me.

Repsac namedropping like nobodies business :haha:

Sounds like you had a great time man!

I attended the fight. Had a blast. But fans of Claressa Shields are super annoying. They aren't boxing fans, they're Claressa fans. I had an argument because i said Shields won 8-2 in rounds. I was told i didn't know what i was talking about. It was a clean sweep. All 3 judges had it the same score as me.

Zab Judah was in good spirit, asked if i was making the trip to Verona in June when he faces Cletus Seldin.

Props to you, looked like a good atmosphere on TV, I had it 7-3 so I'd have been punched in the face probably lol. I guess the fangirls had their scorecards filled out before the first bell sounded, no way did she win the opening round.

And don't tell me Judah is still fighting? Dayum!

Very impressed with T-Rex Sat night, after the first round more doubts began to creep in especially since they're only fighting 10x2, I figured Hammer might just be able to do more of the same for another 5 rounds out of what was remaining but Shields made the adjustment and wouldn't be denied, she refused to let Hammer sneak through the back door and pinch the belts, she had to knock at the front if she wanted a chance of getting her hands on 'em but it stayed firmly shut, enjoyable fight though but I wish they'd do 10x3 or at least 9x3.

Anyway, have you seen Quillin vs Truax yet? I'm about to look for the Munguia fight, I'm hearing there was controversy over the scoring?

Repsac namedropping like nobodies business :haha:

Sounds like you had a great time man!

I like to ask fighter's questions. Whenever they run into me they think i'm press. I'm like "nah, just a fan that enjoys going to the fights."

Undisputed middleweight champion Claressa Shields says she can beat up weltwerweight world champion Keith Thurman and give former middleweight king Gennady Golovkin a run for his money

Claressa Shields: I Can Beat Up Thurman, Give Golovkin a Run - Boxing News

She acknowledges that she is probably not stronger than them (I say probably as she is not using the definite no) but she has now been getting some backlash (as to be expected). Accused of getting carried away Shields has since taken to social media to say she is serious about her comments.

Is Shields delusional and could this kind of crusading have the reverse effect? That is, to turn people away from womens boxing rather than get them tuning in?

--- none of those guys would likely even gently spar such a thug man wannabe.

Guess it had to happen that a thug would start a take over of women's boxing. She got in Kovalevs face a couple years back and threatened to knock him out after he graciously received her when she wanted to talk. Like I say, don't watch women's boxing and certainly no her even to take pleasure in her getting KOed.